Build a simple birdhouse.
Handmade from this plan >>
In the middle of building Grace's playhouse (putting up shingles, actually)
My husband came running over and said, "Honey, I need you to build a house right now." And then he was gone. So I climbed down and went over to investigate. Another house, right now? Who could be getting evicted?
My husband is finishing up a shed on the side of our garage, and a robin had nested in the rafters. Can you see the little beaks? They are loud and hungry.
The three tiny robins were getting very hungry waiting for their shy momma to come feed them. We had to move the nest. The robins needed a new house. And they needed one fast.
Before the mother abandoned her nest.
I rounded up some scrap boards, what you see here is a 1x12 @ 16" for the bottom, a 1x12 @ 12" for the back, and the leftover scrap 1x12 is the roof( (about 12" long), and 2 - 1x6s @ 12, cut down at a 30 degree angle off square. Three minutes and counting. It's a good thing my miter saw has a permanent home and is plugged in.
I screwed the back to the sides, as you see above. I didn't even take the time to make sure it was square or level, but I did use a countersink bit to keep the wood from splitting.
And that's especially apparent in this photo. But our goal was to get the robins a new home, not build a beautiful birdhouse. We are at five minutes and counting in this photo.
I don't do ladders and drills and birdhouses at the same time. So up the RAM goes (Grace may or may not be holding the ladder while I snap a quick photo) and we've got a nice shaded birdhouse.
Despite making quick work of it, I think the birdhouse turned out beautiful! Wish I could have painted it, but we did not have that kind of time.
And with a little pride, I can look out my kitchen sink window and see the two houses I've built. And yes, the robins are doing fine.
Back to the playhouse, the RAM gave me a hand on the higher rows of shingles. As some of you may notice, there is an error in how the roof is shingled. You can see lines in the shingles where the shingles were lapped. This is because I used 3/8" scrap plywood of the roof and could only nail into the rafters. On the plans I will be blogging (very very shortly) we'll use 3/4" plywood and you won't have this issue. You can nail the shingles anywhere, and the shingle joints can be staggered. Still gotta get a railing up and hack a slide. And also a swing attachment. Can't wait to finish blogging the plans. Hope you are having a super holiday weekend!