90% Reused/Reclaimed Wood Farmhouse Bed!

PDF versionPDF version

Additional Photos

About This Project

Reused 2x4s and scrap pieces

90% of this bed is built with scrap wood and re-used wood. I built this bed in 5 hours. (Not counting priming, painting, and filling).

The panels on the headboard and footboard instead of being all the same size are what I had leftover from other projects and lucked out with it balancing as the following:

HEADBOARD PANELS: from left to right --> 1x8, 1x3, 1x8, 1x8, 1x12, 1x8, 1x8, 1x3, 1x8.

FOOTBOARD PANELS: from left to right --> 1x8, 1x8, 1x12, 1x3, 1x4, 1x3, 1x12, 1x8, 1x8.

I only had to cut all of these boards to length, not width, and it all worked out PERFECT to make the panels.

Instead of the 4x4 posts, I used 2 2x4's that I had saved from when I ripped a closet and soffit out of our master bathroom. Those 2x4s are also used for the construction of the headboard and footboard, and the trim on top of both.

The only pieces of wood I had to buy were the 2x6 tops of head/footboard and the 2x10s for the side rails. T

The whole bed has dings and holes and dents and stuff all over it because of it being re-used/scrap wood, but I love the look of it. I painted it a gloss white to balance all of that. I found bedding that is green and white on one side and gray and white on the other side to match the color scheme of the room - and now it's done and I couldn't be more proud!!

Required Skill Level: 
Estimated Time Investment: 
Afternoon Project (3-6 Hours)
Finish Used: 
kilz primer and white semi gloss paint
Estimated Cost: 


I just finished my farmhouse bed and I love it. I was happy to buy all my lumber and stain for $100. But girl, you did awesome! I wish I had those kind of scraps! Love it all the way around & the bedding is gorgeous!

Yeah, I got really lucky, but we have been building some bigger pieces where our scraps were like PERFECT! The bedding is from TARGET! :)

Your bed is beautiful!! You have made tons of furniture! I got your message about the hardware, I'm sorry it gave you trouble. One on of the sideboards I had an issue with the gap being bigger than I wanted, the rest came out okay. I was able to minize it some by putting a piece of wood against the hardware piece (attached to the footboard) and tapping the hardware deeper in with a hammer. I tightened the screws and it seemed to help. The rest of them came out okay.

Thank you - I'm very proud of it - I figured out that I attached the hardware wrong - I have the "peg" things sticking out past the side rail ends, when they're supposed to come flush with the end... so I have to re-attach them and hopefully that will fix the problem.

We have built much more than is on this current site - when Ana switched over to this new site, all of our old submissions disappeared :( We have also built (aside from what's shown on this current site) a coffee table, 2 tryde end tables, 2 night stands, a dresser, and a simple desk. :)

i am in the process of putting everthing onto my website, though. so you should go to my blog and link me! :)