1 49x97 MDF Sheet
165 3/4" or 13' 13/16" of 2x2
93 3/4" or 8' 5/8" of 1x3
2 sets of 10", 100-lb. full extension drawer slides
4 2x2 @ 24 3/8" (Desk Legs)
2 2x2 @ 12 3/4" (Desk Leg Supports)
1 1/2" x 15 3/4" x 70 7/8" MDF (Desk Top)
2 1/2" x 2" x 30" MDF (Drawer Backs)
2 1/2" x 12 1/2" x 30" MDF (Drawer Base)
2 1/2" x 3" x 34" MDF (Drawer Fronts/Faces)
4 1/2" x 12" x 2" MDF (Drawer Sides)
1 1x3 @ 67 7/8" (Back Apron)
2 1x3 @ 12 3/4" (Side Aprons)
3 2x2 @ 14 1/4" (Underside Support Beams)
Please read through the entire plan and all comments before beginning this project. It is also advisable to review the Getting Started Section. Take all necessary precautions to build safely and smartly. Work on a clean level surface, free of imperfections or debris. Always use straight boards. Check for square after each step. Always predrill holes before attaching with screws. Use glue with finish nails for a stronger hold. Wipe excess glue off bare wood for stained projects, as dried glue will not take stain. Be safe, have fun, and ask for help if you need it. Good luck!
(1) Sand and pre-finish before beginning build.
(2) Attach Desk Leg Support to Desk Leg with 2 1/2" screws; repeat for both legs; repeat for other Desk Leg Support and Desk Legs.
Attach Desk Top to Desk Legs with 2 1/2" screws (down through top into leg); repeat for each leg, ensuring
square and flush after each screw.
This is inspired by the Ikea Besta Burs desk.
Attach Side Aprons and Back Apron to Desk Legs with 2 1/2" screws, ensuring flush with Desk Top; screw from outside leg into aprons.
(1) Attach Drawer Back to Drawer Base with 1 1/4" screws, ensuring Drawer Back is flush with Drawer Base.
(2) Attach Darwer Sides to Drawer Base with 1 1/4" screws, ensuring Drawer Sides are flush with Drawer Base and square with Drawer Back. Do NOT yet attach drawer face!!!
Here is where the diagram is not accurate.
(1) Attach Underside Support Beam in center of tabletop (center = 35 7/16") using 2 1/2" screws from the back of the Back Apron into the Underside Support Beam. The Underside Support Beam should be flat against the Back Apron and Desk Top and there should be 1/2" clearance on opposite side (the width of the drawer faces).
(2) Line up drawers and drawer slides/glides; install slides/glides onto Underside Support Beam and Drawer Side (the sides that touch the Underside Support Beam in the center of the Desk Top).
(1) Set the drawer in the slides/glides on the Underside Support Beam.
(2) Now align the Underside Support Beam that will go on the outer edge up with the drawer side without a slide/glide, ensuring allowance for the drawer slide/glide. Attach the Underside Support Beam with 2 1/2" screws from the Back Apron into the Underside Support Beam.
(3) Install the drawer slide/glide to the Drawer Side and Underside Support Beam, ensuring it is level with the other. Ensure the drawer will slide evenly and within the space allotted for the drawer.
(1) Hold Drawer Face on the front of the drawer to ensure proper alignment.
(2) Attach Drawer Face with 1 1/4" screws from the Drawer Face into the Drawer Sides.
Fill holes and imperfections and touch up!