Simple console table with added shelves

PDF versionPDF version

About This Project


I added the bottom shelf by using (4) 1x3's. I also swapped out the 1x4 back for a 1x6 to give the top shelf more height. Lots more details on my blog.

Required Skill Level: 
Estimated Time Investment: 
Afternoon Project (3-6 Hours)
Finish Used: 
Sealed the boards with conditioner, then used Minwax red oak stain, followed by 2 coats of wipe on poly. If you do the shelves, be sure to sand and stain the edges of the boards first. Otherwise, you'll never get the stain in between the cracks!
Estimated Cost: 
$45 without finishing supplies, $70 with.


Someone asked me on my blog about the 1x4 change. But I didn't have a way to comment back, so hopefully they will check here!

I replaced ALL the 1x4's with a 1x6.  So the side aprons, back apron (I
left off the front apron), and the breadboard sides for the top.

Hope that clarifies!  If I were to make the table again, I would have
gone with a 1x8 instead. My shelf is a bit small - it's really hard to
find baskets that fit.  Also, I would have left off the breadboards all
together, and just use 2  solid 1x12's for the top. I don't think it adds that much to the look, and it's harder to do the breadboards.