About This Project
My wife has been asking for a bunk bed for the kids for some time. The room is a little short because it is in a basement and I knew I would need to modify the plans so I procrastinated.
I ended up shortening the height of the bed to 62" total. I also sank the top mattress down because it is a pillow top and the rails were not tall enough. Those were the easy parts. I then had to modify the ladder, I needed to shorten it and wanted a little more angle to it so some high school trig and I was on my way. It turned out pretty good I think.
To save money I used furring strips for everything but the 1x8s. It is very rough and the finishing is not easy on furring strips, but it saves some money.
I had some extra blue from a previous project but wanted it a little darker. I used a flat black water based paint for the base coat then brushed on an incomplete layer of the blue to give it the look I wanted. Sealed it with a clear coat.