Apothecary Media Cabinet

Primary tabs

Help us get rid of spam!

Hey there!  Ana here.  If you got a second and see a comment that you suspect is spam, please click the "This Comment is Spam" text at the bottom of the comment.  Sure appreciate the help! 

PDF versionPDF version

Additional Photos

About This Project

Oak plywood and Oak solid wood

This was our first wood-working project, and it was a BIG one. I think it took us about 50 hours, though we did add a couple complicating steps into the process. We installed full-extension drawer glides and stained instead of painting. Both of those added significantly to our time. We also added a lip around top solid wood planks to give it a more solid look, so of course that added to our time.

The plans were great, though we had a tough time keeping everything square. Our cabinet doors were 1 inch thick (1/2 inch door, plus 1/2 inch facade drawer fronts), and that made it almost IMPOSSIBLE to find hinges that would work with the cabinet doors. Cabinet hinges come ready to fit 3/4 inch doors OR whatever-thickness door with a 3/8 inch routed edge. So I ended up having to purchase some really heavy-duty specialized hinges from our specialty woodworking store, and those cost about $18/pair.

We're really happy with how it turned out, and it suits our needs great. See our process on my blog below.

Required Skill Level: 
Intermediate
Estimated Time Investment: 
Week Long Project (20 Hours or More)
Finish Used: 
We sanded down to 200 grit, then applied General Finishes "American Walnut" oil-based stain. We applied it with a sponge brush, left it on for about 15 minutes, and then wiped off with a clean rag. We applied 6 layers of General Finishes "Arm-R-Seal", sanding with 600-grit between the 4th and 5th layers and once again after the 6th layer.
Estimated Cost: 
$650

Comments

Yes - ambitious or foolish... one of those is the right word to describe it. But thanks! I'm happy with it and with the little model, too :).