Modified Hailey Platform Bed

Primary tabs

PDF versionPDF version

Additional Photos

About This Project

I took the Hailey Platform Bed plan and cut to a twin bed size. I used some old wood I found in the garage for the head and foot boards and the legs. Notice the legs are 4x4s. The grandkids had some old bed springs under their mattresses so I incorporated the spring into the build. That required that I lower the cleat a couple of inches and it meant I had a very complicated leg geometry in order to get it deep enough to support the bed. I built the frame with Kreg Jig pocket joints and they made the work very easy with such large and heavy timbers. Notice I attached the legs to the frame with 5/16" lag screws which allows easy removal of the legs if you need to make it easier to move. Came out very good but I think I will build the second bed without the springs and go for the slat method as shown in the plans.The result is beautiful. My neighbor commented that it looked very Pottery Barnish!

The second bed I finished yesterday is made with slats. A very smart move. The legs are so much easier to attach to the frame. Both beds are beautiful and sturdy. One grandkid told me that when the hurricane comes he is going to get under his bed because it is so strong. He may be right but I will be in Laredo or San Antonio.

Pine and scrap mahogany for legs and ends
Required Skill Level: 
Beginner
Estimated Time Investment: 
Weekend Project (10-20 Hours)
Finish Used: 
Red Oak stain on the legs and head and foot boards. The rest was primed then given two coats of a good satin paint called Benjamin Moore Impervo. It is expensive but I used it on repainting the kitchen cabinets and it was worth the cost. Best advice is good primer, sand with 150 grit, then two coats of final paint but light sanding with 320 grit between coats.
Estimated Cost: 
$70 for two beds and I also got free wood from the garage.