About This Project
Lydia wanted a wooden arch for her wedding with the x legs. So we ordered a pattern for an arch from woodcraftplans.com and modified the legs to include the x design. We used pine lumber in 2x8, 2x4 and 1x2. The lumber was routed with the cove edge to smooth the corners. We cut the 2x8 with the jigsaw to make the two pieces for the arch then glued and screwed them together, then used filler to conceal the seams. Then we clamped the front and back together and sanded forever to get them to match. Then routed the edges again to make them pretty. The legs and x's are 2x4's cut to fit and they ended up being the easiest part to work with. The battens are 1x2's that we ripped from 1x4's and routed with the cove edge. I stained it with Minwax Red Oak 215 by brushing it on and wiping it off. The legs where together during staining but the top wasn't, I wanted to stain and polyurethane each batten and crosspiece before it was attached. We polyurethaned it 2 coats then put it together and put the last coat on. We used Ace Brand Gloss polyurethane. It shines like glass. It can be taken apart and transported in three pieces, the leg pieces and the top are bolted together with carriage bolts. This was a very heavy/ bulky project and you need a helper when building this. I think its intermediate because of the difficulty cutting the arch pieces out of the bigger boards with the jigsaw. My husband ,my sister, my brother-in-law and I worked on this for about a week and it turned out beautifully!