• Medium or Fine and 220 Grit Extra Fine Sandpaper
• Minwax® Oil Based Pre- Stain Wood Conditioner
• Foam Applicator Pad
• Natural Bristle Brush or Staining Rags
• Minwax® Wood Finish™ – Early American
• Minwax® Fast Drying Polyurethane
• Mineral Spirits for Brush Cleanup
• Minwax Stain Marker Stain Marker
• Minwax Blend Fil Pencil
For my house, I’m just using pine boards for the trim. You can use decorative mouldings, or even stack decorative mouldings over boards as well, just make sure you have the same species wood.
Our trim boards are cut to length first, and our walls are already primed and painted in the desired color.
The trim boards are sanded with a power sander using medium grit sandpaper. If you are using decorative trim, use sandpaper to sand hard to reach spots.
Sand until the board is smooth to touch. It’s about to become part of your home! This board has a small blemish on the bottom edge – no worries, it will be covered by the floor.
After sanding, you’ll want to make sure all the sawdust is removed. Use a soft bristled brush followed by slightly damp rag to remove all sanding residue.