Farmhouse Bed - Queen

Primary tabs

Help us get rid of spam!

Hey there!  Ana here.  If you got a second and see a comment that you suspect is spam, please click the "This Comment is Spam" text at the bottom of the comment.  Sure appreciate the help! 

PDF versionPDF version

Additional Photos

About This Project

I had a lot if fun building this and am so glad I did!

Ana mentioned that she distressed the planks by using a screw driver between them to scrape off some of the paint, I did this on the headboard and, while it did work, it was a pain and added a lot of time. For the foot board I painted and distressed all of the pieces prior to assembly and it worked out a lot better! :-)

My 1x8's were slightly smaller than Ana's so I cut down a 1x2 using my circular saw to fit into the spaces left on both sides.

I attempted to use pocket holes to assemble the bed to minimize visible holes, it actually worked great except one side on the foot board :-( I ended up sanding it down and actually ended up really liking it. it always makes me think of it when I see that spot (and not in a bad way)

I cheated when putting this together. I decided to keep the mattress and box spring in their original frame. I used brackets from Woodcraft to connect the side rails to the headboard & foot board.
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2003981/9364/hafele-nomortise-bed-rail-...

Pine, the 4x4 posts are Douglas Fir
Required Skill Level: 
Intermediate
Estimated Time Investment: 
Week Long Project (20 Hours or More)
Finish Used: 
I used Kilz 2 Primer then painted with Behr Silk Pillow. I sanded down all the edges then wiped on a coat of Minwax English Chestnut and sprayed with krylon matte clear sealer. I stole the finish idea from boxermum here http://ana-white.com/2011/04/king-farmhouse-bed-1 but I did a lot more distressing and my stain turned out a lot darker.
Estimated Cost: 
I spend $109.75 (after tax) for all the wood and the rail brackets

Comments