Stackable Chair Turned Desk

Primary tabs

Help us get rid of spam!

Hey there!  Ana here.  If you got a second and see a comment that you suspect is spam, please click the "This Comment is Spam" text at the bottom of the comment.  Sure appreciate the help! 

PDF versionPDF version

Additional Photos

About This Project

furring and hardwood 1x8

I made this for a friend whose son is turning 1. I wanted him to be able to sit in the seat without falling out, so at first I just planned on making arm rests (thus destroying the stack element, but he's an only child haha!). I had an extra piece of 1x8 laying around that turned out to be just long enough, and some hinges and a sash lock.

in the first picture, the desk is screwed on. I ended up changing it so he could use the desk longer! little legs can only squeeze into spaces for so long :)

Long story short, for this project I took all of the measurements for the original stackable chair and took 2" off to make it more appropriate for his size, EXCEPT the front legs, which I actually added 5 inches to. The front legs then stuck up from the seat about 5 inches, and i attached a 10.5" 1x2 from the front leg to the back leg on each side. Hinges on one side of the 1x8 board, sash lock on the other, and voila! desk-chair!! and it fit my 15 month old AND my almost 3 year old! granted, it was a tight squeeze for the 3 year old, but he LOVES the desk and I'm planning on finding a way to convert his stackable chair into one :)

Required Skill Level: 
Beginner
Estimated Time Investment: 
An Hour or Two (0-2 Hours)
Finish Used: 
enamel paint
Estimated Cost: 
$10-12

Comments

I bet kids would LOVE this. Great idea, and the fact you figured out how to make it with a hinge....pretty awesome!

i brought it outside to sand yesterday and all of the kids in our row of townhomes were trying to play in it! i had 2 people ask me to make one for their kids! i hope a lot of other people can use this concept and make it even better for their kids! i feel like there have to be better hinges and lock sets than what i used, hopefully someone on here can make suggestions!