Raised Cedar Fence Post Berry Patch

Primary tabs

PDF versionPDF version

Additional Photos

About This Project

I used the same cedar fence boards, but for a large berry patch made with minimal cuts. The end boards are 1/2 the length of the long side boards. I made them 2 fence widths high - about 11 inches. Each bed is nearly 12 feet long. I joined the dogeared ends of 2 boards in the center, making a diamond cut out pattern that looked good. In order to support the tall sides, I used cedar 2x4x8 boards. Use 18-24 inch posts on each corner and at the center joint. I cut an additional board in half, affixing it to the center posts, to brace the long sides and add stability.

Each box is approximately 3 feet wide, 12 feet long, and 11 inches tall. You'll need 8 fence posts for the long sides, 2 for the short sides, and 1/2 for the brace - you could use a different piece of wood for this, but the cedar fence posts are such a deal. You'll also need approximately 9 feet of cedar 2x4 for the corner posts - I bought 8 foot lengths and cut each into 2 foot posts for stability. The cost was around

I'll add 2x4 posts in the spring and put a trellis behind the raspberries. If the birds start to steal my blueberries, I'll add metal or wooden corner posts that will support fruit netting.

We're planting strawberries around the base of the larger fruit bushes. The 11 inch sides should keep rabbits from invading. If they are persistent, I'll add a few inches of chicken wire around the top edge.

This made the equivalent square footage of 4 of Ana's original $10 beds.

Cedar 1x6 Fence Posts
Required Skill Level: 
Starter Project
Estimated Time Investment: 
Afternoon Project (3-6 Hours)
Finish Used: 
Light sanding, no finish
Estimated Cost: 
Around $75 for 2 - most of the cost was in the 2x4s.

Comments

I'm putting together several L-shaped raised beds out of 6x6s with the internal walls being 2x6s. This gives me encouragement. I really like the look of this! Thanks.

I'm putting together several L-shaped raised beds out of 6x6s with the internal walls being 2x6s. This gives me encouragement. I really like the look of this! Thanks.