Brenchwright Table

Primary tabs

PDF versionPDF version

Additional Photos

About This Project

Pine

Wanted a proper dining table for Thanksgiving. I worked on it during my son's naps and in the evening, so it took longer than normal. I used pine from Menards.

First I used the straightest 1x6's I could find and attached 8 together with my Kreg Jig on the bottom to make a sold tabletop without space between the planks. Then used a chisel to rough up the seams to make it appear that there is space between planks. I then beat the table with a chain, chiseled out chunks, used an awl to make cracks and used a wire brush on my drill to make it look worn.

I did some figuring and made the extending version of the table. The leafs are just 3 1x6's that rest on two 2x4's that pull out.

I made the legs out of 4x6 poplar, because that was the only untreated I could find in that size. I just didn't like the look of the 4x4's.

Some of the wood is a little warped, but what can you do. i t just adds to the character.

I used plumbing fixtures to attached the turnbuckles to the table and sprayed all the hardware black with rustolium flat spray and primer. The rods are just black pipe from true value that I had a welder attach to the turnbuckles I bought online.

Final dimensions: 72" long (closed) 108" (with leafs) 42" wide.

Got to see the Pottery Barn in person and I like mine way better.

Required Skill Level: 
Intermediate
Estimated Time Investment: 
Week Long Project (20 Hours or More)
Finish Used: 
Two coats of Minwax Walnut gel (only one on the underside) 3 coats of Minwax Quick Dry Poly on table top, 1 everywhere else
Estimated Cost: 
$500 (including hardware)

Comments