Help with a Few (Hundred) Boxes

Submitted by Ana White on Tue, 03/08/2011 - 21:25

It's framed, the roof is on, the drywall is up, siding is done, bathrooms and kitchens work, but some of the closets still need shelving and a few light fixtures aren't quite in yet.  And most of our stuff is moved, just a few more trips, and we can call it home.

Yep, our site is moving to a brand new home!

I've been feeling a little like I'm in a leaky row boat in the middle of a rainstorm, trying to row to shore and bail water out at the same time these last few weeks, but finally tonight, I'm feeling like that distant shore is very reachable.  You see, because this new site is a website, not just a blog, every single post that I've written (all 500 and counting) needed to be migrated over and then completely redone.  So on top of learning how to build a website, building that website, keeping up with the current blog, writing new posts for the current blog, I've been reformatting all the old posts into a new, clean format that will be easy to reference with mobile devices and also standardize all plans.  And it's going to be more than worth my time investment.

You see, I want it all.  I want to continue to be a major part of this community, but I also want to be able to work reasonable hours.  And as one of our wise readers commented, it's about working smarter, not working longer or harder.  And it is our great hope that this new website will enable me to do just that - work smarter.

It is also my hope that the new site will enable you to work smarter.  All project plans are separated out into fields, for example, cut list, shopping list, step 1, step 2, and so on.  All image uploading is automatically resized, and all members of the new site can post plans and brag posts (and hopefully ad listings) without my manual approval.  Posts can be flagged for errors, flagged as spam, even comments can be flagged as spam.  We've truly upgraded from the 1 bedroom/bathroom third floor studio without a garage and old appliances to the single family home with all the bells and whistles.

So . . . we need to plan a moving party!  You know, door prizes and freebies and all that other fun stuff.  I'm shooting for the 18th of March, giving everyone plenty of time to get used to the new site, and also, time to fix any bugs that will I'm sure pop up .  . . pun not intended.

But before we get to that, I've got a favor to ask.  There is still a ton of boxes to move, and I know that I can handle migrating all of my posts and plans.  But there are hundreds of reader contributed brag posts and photos that I simply cannot leave behind. I'd be more than happy to move them myself, but when I move a post, it shows me as the author, instead of you.  And also, I'm always nervous about moving photos and posts, because you may not want me to.  And lastly, any photos and contributions that you move will show up as content you authored . . . so when someone goes to contact you to make a custom order, they can look through all of your work and not all of my work.  Oh, one more thing - you can also edit your own posts.

So I have a huge huge huge favor to ask everyone.

This is big, I will be eternally grateful.

Because you are going to save me probably another month of sitting behind a computer wishing I could be building something.

Not to mention I'm probably going to gain another ten pounds.

And what would take me a month could just take minutes if everyone chips in.

Could you, would you, help me migrate your brag posts and photos?

To those of you who said yes, I cannot thank you enough.  Thank you thank you!

In order to claim your posts as the author (and not get the generic "community contributor" label) you will need to either Login or Register.  I've tried to make the process as simple as possible.  If you already have an account with Ana-White.com, you can try logging in, but you will need to either request a new password (for your security, I cannot touch your passwords, so you'll need to reset it) or login with Facebook.  You can access these links at the top left corner of the site.

Once you are logged in, you will see a menu on the right sidebar.  Click Brag Post.  Plan Posting has not been refined quite yet, so if you have a plan to contribute, please be patient, I hope to add that functionality shortly.

The brag post should be simple and straight forward.  You do not need to worry about what used to be my number one timesink - cropping and resizing images to fit - as the new site will do that for you.  Make sure you enter the link to the plan in the given field - preferably on the new site because . . .

Your brag post will show up in a scroll bar at the top of the actual plan!  Please note it could take a bit for your brag post to show, as this runs on search indexing.  But imagine how helpful this will be to builders, to not have to go out and find brag posts for advice.

And here is our very first brag post on the new site, with special thanks to cfgenie for posting.  If you supply a profile picture, it will display in the sidebar of all of your posts, with a link to your profile page, a means of contacting you via email without giving out your email address, and will also display whether or not you are open to custom work.

I have in addition set up a Help Post that you can comment too, and I'll do my best to help you out.  Please, look through the previous comments before adding yours, as the answer may already be there.  I will be on the new site quite a bit, looking for your comments, and also migrating the rest of my posts and migrating the Community over, so don't hesitate to ask for help if you need it.

Lastly, as we approach the big move, if you are working on a project, make sure you either print out the instructions, save them, or can easily locate the plan on the new site, so your workflow at home is not disrupted.

For those of you that can help out, I greatly appreciate your time.  And for those of you who cannot, I understand, life is busy, we are just happy that you can be a part of all this! Thank you!

Comments

QueenMahin (not verified)

Wed, 03/09/2011 - 01:06

Ana, your new site is amazing! Did you do all of your own coding? You are such an inspiration. Hoping the new design will let you work smarter and have much more time for ice fishing with your family!

JennyPenny (not verified)

Wed, 03/09/2011 - 01:20

Gorgeous Ana! You seem to have thought of everything! Am I understanding correctly that if I'm working on the bench plan, there is an way way to click and see everyone who's alreadymade it and bragged about it in the brag board? If I'm getting it; that us going to be so helpful!

It would be cool too in our profiles to be able list plans we've made, plans we're currently working on and future goals. I can't wait to be able to see who's building in my area! We appreciate all you're doing to make your site even more helpful than it already is! Here's to more fishing days! :)

Jen

ACraftyCauldron (not verified)

Wed, 03/09/2011 - 02:20

Ana - I just discovered you the other day and am COMPLETELY blown away. I was just getting adjusted to this site, but your new site is AMAZING! Best of luck to you getting the new site up and going. It looks great and I hope to be contributing to that Brag Blog very soon!

Kari (not verified)

Wed, 03/09/2011 - 03:34

That is not a huge favor to ask, Ana.
You have made us all a family. And with family you can say, "Get your own stuff and move it on over". :O)

Logan (not verified)

Wed, 03/09/2011 - 04:03

I was floored when I first found your Knock off Wood blog a year and a few months ago, and now that you're moving up to a big shiny new website, I'm in awe. You have put forth so much effort in this whole project and I know that all of your readers and myself think this is a great way for you to get back some of that time that you greatly deserve. I'm not sure how everything is going to work yet, but I know that it's going to be great. With this new website, I hope to contribute a bit more since I have whipped up a few designs in Sketch-Up myself. Thanks for all you do Anna!

Leah (not verified)

Wed, 03/09/2011 - 04:40

I'm behind the times, tardy to the party, slow on the uptake. What is the new site address? This article doesn't list it, there isn't a link to it in this article. I'm on a phone, so please forgive me.

OH! I see a link to the beta site at the top of the page! Got it!

Jayme C. (not verified)

Wed, 03/09/2011 - 07:06

Dear Ana -

Just gotta tell you that I think you are a gem! A true wonder woman! A total gift from God. Thanks for all you do! :)

Sara B (not verified)

Wed, 03/09/2011 - 08:44

Thank you Anna, and if I had made a Brag Post yet I would happily move it.

I have a related question: I have some projects saved to my "to-do" list. Should I create a new account on the new site and remake my to-do list or will my log-in bring my old to do list over? (Either way is fine, I just want to make sure I don't lose track of the inspiration.)

Thanks so much for your site!

Ana White (not verified)

Wed, 03/09/2011 - 12:25

Queen Mahin, yes, I got a few quotes and they wanted between 15 and 30 THOUSAND dollars to do the new site, and several months, and while I would be happy to invest that much into what I'm doing, it would ultimately have come from our readers :( so I just decided to do it myself for pretty much free! Thank you, let me know if you have any troubles with the new site and I will do my best to help out.

Ana White (not verified)

Wed, 03/09/2011 - 12:29

Just added the ability to allow links to pass but with pretty much giving people free reign to post, I have to be super careful to not let a hacker in, so those fields have to be carefully restricted. But I also fully understand and support that people have personal blogs they would live visited as well! There is a field to add a blog link and URL on both brag and plan posts, and also the ability to show off your blog link on your profile page. I'm going to see what I can do to allow people to further modify their profile pages as well. Hope this all makes sense.

Ana White (not verified)

Wed, 03/09/2011 - 12:32

Sara, this is a really good point that I didn't mention, and I'm so glad you did. Yes, if you can start bookmarking your plans on the new site, that would be good. The old site will remain live for at least another week, so no hurry, and I'll remind everyone before we change the site name over. One thing to consider is that not all of the plans have been fully migrated (my daughter's been a little needy these last few days so not as much is getting done) so you may not be able to find every plan that you have on your To-Do list. Thanks for commenting on this. Appreciate it. Ana

Tsu Dho Nimh (not verified)

Wed, 03/09/2011 - 13:44

Ana - Do you have a "Report This Spammer" links?

Just in case I go crazy and start posting links to drugs to enlarge body parts or something. :0

Crystal (not verified)

Wed, 03/09/2011 - 15:11

Hi Ana! Love your site and if I had anything to move I would move it!

This may be a really silly question but I can't figure out if the new site has the same "to-do list" function the original blog has. Can you help? :) I am working on a list going to start my first project this weekend!

ATableforTen (not verified)

Wed, 03/09/2011 - 19:46

Hi Ana.

I added my brag post before logging in (oops)..so I logged in, and did it over again. It still says waiting to be approved so I hope it worked?

Thanks for all the hard work you are putting in here..I am amazed you are doing it all on your own!

Thanks!!
Heather (ATableforTen)

Guest (not verified)

Sun, 03/27/2011 - 12:17

Ana, been trying to reset the password to be able to login into my account, but I'm not receiving the instructions by email.  I've checked my junk mail folder, but can't seem to find anything so I can get logged in to the new site and start saving projects!  Any thoughts/help?