Sierra's New Room

Additional Photos

The previous summer, my Dad repainted my daughter's room in a beautiful bright blue with a sky blue ceiling. It matched wonderfully with her antique white princess twin bed and matching nightstand and armiore. However, my daughter had outgrown that bed, after all, she was almost 12, and I ended up selling her bedroom set on craigslist soon after and she moved into the guest room while I figured out how I was going to afford a new bedroom set for her. When I discovered Ana White, I found the inspiration I needed to build my daughter the bed that would see her through to adulthood and, hopefully, beyond.

My daughter picked out the Farmhouse bed: http://ana-white.com/2009/10/farmhouse-bed-save-158100_7467.html

I built the bed one week in August while the kids were away at camp... took about 2 days for the bed and the rest of the time trying to get the paint just right.

Between Ana White, Young House Love and Pinterest, I started visualizing a whole bedroom built by Mom! I created a Mood Board (see below)and started building. Because her room is so small, I decided to build furniture that is up off the floor and gives a feeling of a bigger space:

Ana's High Rise Shelf: http://ana-white.com/2010/12/high-rise-shelf serves as her Night Stand. In fact, she did the shelf placement herself and even learned how to use a nail gun (brag pic below)

Pinterest/Design Sponge - Floating Desk: http://www.designsponge.com/2008/04/diy-project-maggis-minimalist-oak-d… I used this idea to create both a floating TV Stand and a floating desk/vanity, modified to the height of the bins which will hide paper clutter.

Pinterest/A little of this/A little of that - DIY Art Display: http://alittleofthis---alittleofthat.blogspot.com/2010/01/favorite-proj… My daughter loves to draw and this idea fit perfectly into my design for showcasing her creative works and is a great focal point on her large blue expanse of wall.

My favorite piece is Ana White's Harriet chair: http://ana-white.com/2011/03/harriet-chair Love it... Nuf Said!

The bed cost $198 including paint. The Chair and Shelves cost about $120 including paint. In addition, I added the Silver Peligree Drum pendant lamp at $99 from Lowes and the over the bed reading lamp from Ikea for $15. The curtains are from Target, 4 panels for $98.

Needless to say, my daugher loves her room and is proud to tell everyone that her mom build it.

Comments

loniwolfe

Mon, 11/28/2011 - 10:33

I love how you used the inspiration board to sort of map it out first! We are sleeping in our guest room right now also trying to redo our bedroom, I'm going to use that idea! Also I love the floating desk! Great job on everything!

StacieM

Tue, 11/29/2011 - 15:49

I would have loved to have that room when I was a teenager! That looks so fun! Great job and I'm sure all of her friends are jealous!

spiceylg

Wed, 11/30/2011 - 08:12

I love it when a plan comes together! That room is amazing and your daughter must be so proud that you did it all on your own! I'm sure it feels great to have such an accomplishment behind you, let alone the wonderful example you are setting for your daughter. Girl power! :)

Guest (not verified)

Wed, 11/30/2011 - 10:36

Great job! It all looks amazing!

rhonit

Sun, 12/04/2011 - 13:59

Great Job!! Way to go!! I hope that you are very proud of your accomplishments, and your daughter should be proud of you for doing so!!!

dirkandjensdiy

Tue, 12/06/2011 - 08:58

Can you give me the dimensions on your floating desk? Did you use 1X12? If you could give me your specifics, I'd so appreciate it? I absolutely love your room! Its perfect!

In reply to by dirkandjensdiy

SingleMomThriving

Tue, 12/20/2011 - 14:05

I did use a 1x12 to make it. The top is 45 in and the sides are 9 in. The height is to accomodate the 7.5 in tall baskets which I got for $2 each at Target in their $1 section.

I apologize for not answering sooner. Hope this helps you.

Dona

Guest (not verified)

Sat, 12/31/2011 - 06:33

You did a beautiful job on this room! We must have the same tastes because this is very close to what I have envisioned for my girls' room. Do you mind sharing the wall paint color? I've searches and searched for the right shade to no avail.

In reply to by Guest (not verified)

SingleMomThriving

Thu, 01/05/2012 - 07:59

I love the color too. It was painted the summer of 2010 by my father and the name on the paint can has faded. Sorry, I have looked everywhere for the paint chip. It was a Behr paint from Home Depot.