I recently landed my first teaching position, and unfortunately my predecessor left quite a blank canvas for my classroom. I will be teaching math and definitely needed a lectern to hold my book as reference for examples during instructional time. However, I was completely unable to fork over $200 for a lectern...so of course I turned to Ana White! I saw the Podium Plan that another had submitted, and used it as a guide with some changes:
1) My dimensions are 15" wide by 21" long by 43" tall (I'm shorter than your average bear).
2) Used the table saw set at 45 degrees to create mitered joint edges with my plywood
3) Inset the shelves into the frame for added stability using a router.
4) Added casters to the base for maneuverability
5) Added an easily-removable laptop shelf for the side for easy hook-up to the Promethean Board in the classroom.
6) Decoupaging my name to the front for some visual interest...(and of course to claim ownership...:) )
My room is painted yellow, and all of my accessories are teal, lime green, and brown. This is gonna look GREAT in there, and best of all, it's attractive AND functional!