About This Project
Corona Square Coffee Table.
Welcome to the most awesome blog on earth, one about real people building real furniture! Come get inspired, learn, and be amazed! Special thanks to our readers who post to our brag blog!
Corona Square Coffee Table.
We made some modifications from the original plans....
we chose to use project wood instead of plywood because it finished nicer as we wanted the floors to look like real wood flooring - we stained the floors and steps prior to constructing the house
We used fabric for the wall covering, was easier to work with mod podge as we also finished the walls prior to constructing the house, we used a small molding to finish the edges where the fabric overlapped the edges of the walls
For the roof we cut small pieces of cedar shims (cheap at your local Home Depot,etc) glued on and finished with several coats,of clear finish it took roughly 2 packs at under $4.00/pk
It did cost a little mort to use project wood for the project but well worth it !!
We found that the fisher price loving family furniture and dolls work perfect for now as our granddaughters are very young but the size of the house can accommodate Barbie dolls and furniture as they get older
Overall, it was a great project and the girls love it !!
Turned Out Very Nice. Modified The Drain.
Colin needed a bed for his room to upgrade from his toddler bed. I new immediately I was going to use plans from Anna's site! Building the bed was extremely easy with the new tools that I received for my birthday. This was my first time staining anything so that took the longest time for this project. It is my second thing that I have built from Anna's awesome website!
We started out practicing on end tables. Take your time carefully picking out your lumber. We ended up with a slightly warped 2x10. There is no give in a big board like that so it put us behind. The picture shows it stained with minwax "Provincial" and one coat of minwax satin. More coats for the top are in progress.
We wanted to have a mantel for hanging the Christmas stockings this year and this fit perfectly! We modified the plans a bit by substituting 1x6's for the sides and a 1x12 on the top in order to gain a little more shelf space and to accommodate the LED fire logs. We added a piece of plywood painted black to mask the color of the wall and to give the "flames" a surface to reflect off of. We are debating giving a more realistic appearance by covering with mortar and brick tiles rubbed with charcoal. Thanks for the plan and for making these holidays special as the kids now believe Santa has a chimney to come down!
I built this and then ordered storage baskets that fit to the size. I built it exactly to the plan except I did not make the top flush to a back wall and I added decorative trim. I think adding trim really adds a nice look to this project.
The tower was super easy to build and took hardly any time. The most time was spent on the finishing work (sanding and painting).
This was my first building project! I had so much fun with it ... for a guy that can't even hang a photo on the wall! My dad helped and he had all the tools. I spent a few weekends with him so not only was a good father/son project we had something to show off at the end. I think I've caught the woodworking fever.
I built one for my kids and one for a nephew. I ordered the 10" x 10" Lego plates from Amazon. The sides and top are made from 3/4" plywood and the bottom is 1/4" plywood. The overall dimensions are 26 1/4" x 13 5/8" x 11 7/8" (not counting the top circles). I used a 4" hole saw to cut the circles then glued/nailed two together and used wood filler to fill the hole created in the center of the circles by the hole saw.
Other than changing the dimensions, I followed the original plans closely. The images in the original plans have 2 plates that are 15" x 15".
When cutting the circles, I clamped/screwed a scrap piece of wood under the plywood to produce much cleaner cuts.
I did paint the inside bottom white to make it easier to see the bottom and small pieces. I also drilled a pair of holes on each side to add rope handles.
A built these shelves for my nieces birthdays. I reversed the color schemes to keep them separate. The plans provided are great! I would certainly use the added 1 x 2 supports if hanging on the wall because the shelf is heavy (about 14 pounds).