Really happy with the final product and the hubby is glad I have finally finished a project. This project was an answer to the piles of washing crowding our small laundry. I found 3 sturdy family sized (huge) rectangular laundry baskets for $10ea at Kmart and then used Sketchup to adjust the plans to allow for the bigger baskets (Sketchup is so much fun to use). I ended up having to buy an extra piece of wood for the top because I forgot to allow for the thickness of the sides when measuring the top and base. (I know, I know, measure twice cut once...) I used the piece I had cut for the top as the base and then got a new piece for the top. When I finally got all the pieces cut to size it all went together pretty quickly. I used melamine for the box because it was cheap and I wouldn't have to paint it. It did chip a little bit along the edges when I cut it but it's not too bad. I used 30 x 30mm pine for the basket supports and had to countersink the screws 1cm so I could use 30mm screws. I used iron-on melamine edging to finish the exposed edges of chipboard and used paint on the back and supports. Actual construction didn't take long but the painting took about a day by the time I'd done one basecoat and two top-coats.
Built from Plan(s)
$40 (AUD) incl. screws. Already had the paint.
Estimated Time Investment
Day Project (6-9 Hours)
Type of Wood
melamine (box), mdf (back), pine (supports)
Dulux Prepcoat & Dulux Aquanamel White on back and basket supports. The rest was white melamine.
Recommended Skill Level