This was my first real build and it was a lot of fun. My girlfriend helped me out from time to time even though it was brutally cold in my un-heated, uninsulated, detatched garage.
We used a sagey green for the paint and 2 coats of gloss poly on the top. Added holes in the back with a hole saw for wires and cables. I stacked the false fronts and drilled them for the knobs all at the same time for consistency.
All in for about $210 including $40 in knobs, but I did make the drawers out of some scrap I had laying around.
The pocket hole joinery makes this pretty easy, but I'd highly recommend a table saw for consistent cuts and deminsions. Also, definitely use lay out lines and double check for squareness before driving the screws during assembly. Take your time, and enjoy the process. It starts to look very much "diy" in that not good "ummmmmm..." kind of way before the end where it all comes together.