Emerson console with adaptations

Newest Video! I love creating, here's what I'm up to!

Submitted by Imadeit on Wed, 07/20/2016 - 12:21

I adapted the Emerson console plans pretty extensively.  I constructed the cabinet out of low grade playwood, and then clad it on all surfaces with faux painted cheap furring strip lumber of various widths. I changed the base and made it sit completely on the floor so that I would not be chasing dog fur dust bunnies that seem to accumulate under everything!  I made the open storage wider to fit my componenets and added holes to pass the wires through the back.

It was very helpful to have the plans as a jumping off point.  It takes me forever in the planning stage.  I try to figure out my dimensions to hide as many raw edges as possible in every project.  I also want to work with the widths of lumber avaialble to me since I have a fear of a tablesaw (which is still in the box after 3 years).  Give me a chop saw and a circular saw and I'm your girl!

Very proud of this project.  Thanks Ana!

Built from Plan(s)
Estimated Cost
$300
Estimated Time Investment
Week Long Project (20 Hours or More)
Type of Wood
Plywood and Pine furring strips
Finish Used
Painted the boards BEFORE construction. Used five different colors of latex paint (samples) using 2 or three colors on each board. Used a mustard yellow, red, black, dark and light gray. First coat completely covered the board with one of the colors (alternating which colors). Put one or two additional coats of other colors of paint on each board with a VERY dry brush attempting to only put color on a few places. After fully dry, rubbed a dark oak gel stain over every board to add patina and dull down the colors. After dry, sealed with a satin water based polyurethane.
Recommended Skill Level
Intermediate

Free Plans Made Possible By Our Sponsors