Upholstered Toddler (Not) Daybed

Submitted by Alyssa on Thu, 03/17/2011 - 16:32

My first "real" project! 

Of course I can't just follow directions though... I converted the upholstered toddler daybed into a non-daybed. In the process I messed up the measurements (not sure where) which made it tough to attach the headboard securely and also made it a couple of inches too long for the crib mattress. Oh well! It's solid now and we filled the gap with a rolled towel for the time being. I might make her a little box to fit in that spot and hold treasures.

Lesson learned is that building is fun, but I should let someone else worry about the math! ;)
Built from Plan(s)
Estimated Cost
Can't remember exactly, but it felt like a lot in the end. Fabric, batting, and extra bits for structural support (because I didn't follow directions) added up. The wood was cheap.
Estimated Time Investment
Weekend Project (10-20 Hours)
Finish Used
White paint on the legs, distressed a little for practice (even though you can't really tell unless you're up close), polyacrylic over top (not sure what the topcoat should be, but I had it on hand!).

Note about the "Estimated Time Investment" - I'm sure this would not have taken as long for someone that had done more woodworking than I have. I've made a kitchen set and a bike ramp previously (not Ana's plans) but that's about it... Also it's a TODDLER bed, which means I have toddlers and that always makes things take twice as long!
Recommended Skill Level

Free Plans Made Possible By Our Sponsors