And fit our first baluster in at the center.
We've used our Kreg Jig to drill pocket holes in the ends of all the balusters, so we can just line up the center on the baluster with the center of the railing board,
And attach with pocket hole screws and glue.
Same is done with the top,
And then it's double check time again.
I know this seems like overkill, but all of the balusters installed from this one out depend on the first one being level. So getting this first one perfect is crucial.
Then we use blocking to space the next baluster, to code distance (for us, a little less than 4") away from the first middle baluster.
That baluster gets glued 'n screwed in place.
We keep the same spacing at the top too, using the precut spacing blocks.
Once we got rolling - or should I say "railing" - this part went really fast.
Once the balusters above the center one were attached, we went back and attached the balusters below the center.
Of course we double checked each and every baluster to make sure it was level.
This railing is getting painted like the rest, but we still need to fill those pocket holes. So we set wood plugs in all the pocket holes with glue.
To keep the balusters from twisting out and give the railing similar styling to the upstairs railing, we glued and nailed a few trim boards on the outsides over the balusters,
And then our helper got home from school and helped us attach the top to the railing, like we did on the main railing. This finishes out the top edge.
Then we unattached the entire railing and filled, sanded and finished it, and reattached it ...
And it's done!!!
We will next finish off the treads and risers, and we may go back and add a stained board on top to match the stained treads, but for now, the railing is double checked and done!