How to build a platform bed for $30. Simple step by step plans with diagrams and shopping list and cut list.
Build the matching headboard with these plans.
- 3 – 2x4 @ 8 feet long
- 1 – 2x3 @ 2 feet long (or use 2x4)
- 2 – 2x2 @ 8 feet long
- 3 – 1x3 @ 8 feet long
- 1x2 or 1x3 slats or box spring (about 6 boards, 8 feet long - can also use various scraps as long as the thickness matches)
- 2 1/2" screws or 2 1/2" pocket hole screws
- 2 – 2x4 @ 76 1/2"
- 2 – 2x4 @ 39”
- 4 – 2x3 @ 5 1/2" (can use 2x4s here as well)
- 2 – 2x2 @ 70 1/2"
- 2 – 1x3 @ 75”
- 1 – 1x3 @ 44”
- 1x3 @ 39” for slats (not accounted for in cut list)
Please read through the entire plan and all comments before beginning this project. It is also advisable to review the Getting Started Section. Take all necessary precautions to build safely and smartly. Work on a clean level surface, free of imperfections or debris. Always use straight boards. Check for square after each step. Always predrill holes before attaching with screws. Use glue with finish nails for a stronger hold. Wipe excess glue off bare wood for stained projects, as dried glue will not take stain. Be safe, have fun, and ask for help if you need it. Good luck!
It is always recommended to apply a test coat on a hidden area or scrap piece to ensure color evenness and adhesion. Use primer or wood conditioner as needed.