Squared2 Headboard, Queen

Submitted by Ana White on Fri, 10/22/2010 - 10:31

A modern touch to a bedroom.

If you couldn't make our first every (but definitely not the last . . . ) Buildaholics Party last night, here's some of the highlights

• Parson or slipper chair is a priority
  • More beds in adult styles/sizes
  • I'm not the only one who tiptoes around the tablesaw
  • Circular saw isn't much better
  • And we should do it again!

And photos too!

What do you think of @craftconniptions Toddler Farmhouse Beds?

And as promised, one lucky attendee gets to go home with a $50 Lowe's gift card.  Drawn at random (wow, I'm chatty, drew myself three times first!) our winner is . . .

Thanks ThisDIYLife, you have won our door prize!

For everyone else, you can see the complete party conversation here, and stay tuned, we'll be doing that again!

And because you asked for more adult beds, thought I would post one that you can make for about $15 in lumber - or at least under $20, that will make a huge impact in your bedroom.  No fancy bedding required with this headboard!

Especially if you choose a color.  Just throw some white bedding on, and instant chic style without the cost!  See how West Elm styles their overlapping square headboard here.

I love how West Elm choose a dark stain on a bright wall with white bedding.  A blah bedroom can go to chic style with some paint, this headboard, and some white bedding.

Queen, 52" tall x 60" wide x 1 1/2" deep

4 – 1×2, 8′ length
1 – 2×4, 8′ or stud length
4 – 2x2s, 8′ length

Common Materials

2 – 2×2 @ 58 3/4″ (Horizontal Frame)
2 – 2×2 @ 52″ (Legs – you can make the legs longer or shorter for the look you are going for)
1 – 2×4 @ 58 3/4″ (Frame Support)
8 – 1×2 @ 12 1/4″ (Overlapping Squares)
4 – 1×2 @ 13″ (Overlapping Squares)
2 – 1×2 @ 20 1/4″ (Overlapping Squares)
8 – 1×2 @ 6 1/2″ (Overlapping Squares)
12 – 1×2 @ 5 1/2″ (Overlapping Squares)
4 – 1×2 @ 6 1/4″ (Overlapping Squares)

Kreg Jig

Build the Headboard Frame

Build the headboard frame as shown above. The bottom 2×4 (frame support) can be adjusted to any height for easily attaching your bed frame to the headboard.

Large 90s

Build the large 90s and attach to the headboard frame as shown above. Carefully mark out the placement of the joints to the headboard frame for a nice square fit.

Smaller 90s

Now build the smaller 90s seperate and mark and place inside the larger 90s. Screw in place.

Fill in the blanks

Now simply fill in the blanks!

Comments

Shamaira (not verified)

Fri, 10/22/2010 - 10:45

Ana, I love this! Are you going to post plans for the daybed? If so, I'll wait for you to post those plans! I was going to build the daybed this weekend, but couldn't quite figure out how to do it all by myself. If you are going to post plans in the next few weeks, I'd be soooo happy! Thank you.

TNSLB (not verified)

Fri, 10/22/2010 - 14:38

I'm sad I missed the tweet party! It's on during Project Runway, but since that's nearing the finale I'll be good to go soon!

LOVE this plan, but holy moly stop! I had already decided to do the farmhouse bed for the guest room, but now I super want to do this one! The price and style just can't be beat!

Thanks, Ana!!

carie taguchi (not verified)

Fri, 10/22/2010 - 14:47

is this for a queen size bed? I too hope you can create the plans for the day bed, I tried to figure it out from the message board post about it, but it didn't make complete sense to me. it's such a pretty design!

ThisDIYLife (not verified)

Fri, 10/22/2010 - 16:26

Oh my goodness!!!! I can't believe I actually won something...I never win anything! I can't wait to get started on my next project! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Totally worth setting up my Twitter account. I so appreciate all that you do. I pass along your website at every chance I get - a common phrase around work is "Did you check Ana's website?" We love everything you do!

Sarah (not verified)

Fri, 10/22/2010 - 19:54

I love this! I already built the Reclaimed-Wood Look Headboard however, I'm thinking that the top part of this headboard painted a peacock blue would make a beautiful wall hanging against my white rental living room wall.

M (not verified)

Sat, 10/23/2010 - 08:59

This looks fabulous! I am new to this whole idea of building your own furniture, but the plans look easy to follow. Are you planning on posting this headboard in king size? That would be fantastic.

elizabeth (not verified)

Sat, 10/23/2010 - 11:12

I love this ! Does anyone know how to convert this to a twin size , my 12 year old would love this

NORMA B (not verified)

Wed, 09/07/2011 - 18:29

i also want to have this in twin for my daughter, for a year i wanted to get this headboard at west elm,i've been receiving the catalogue every month and this week i finally bought the matress and yesterday i was about to order the bed when i found that is discontinued, so this sounds like a good project to do, does anyone know how to adapt it to a twin size?

Jamie L (not verified)

Sat, 10/23/2010 - 12:40

Love the plans, my hub and I just finished building the Brookstone bed for our 2-yr old (polu is drying as I type). We modified the plans for fit the existing mattress we had, which is an XL-twin. 80 inches instead of 75".

Plan suggestion: I'd love to see a knock-off of IKEA's Trofast. This can't possibly be hard, right? But I don't own a router. The baskets they sell for it are way cheap and I could afford those, but $90 for the frame, who are they kidding!?
We have another one on the way now and storage in our small rental house is a MUST!
Love all the plans, keep 'em coming. I check the site daily.

AmyLynn (not verified)

Sat, 10/23/2010 - 16:47

I've been trying to talk one of my friends into building a headboard for her new bed in her newly painted bedroom. I think I might be able to talk her into this one!

Next note: Your website is spreading around the office. Just this week a co-worker said "I convinced [my husband] to buy a Kreg Jig this weekend...I don't know what it does, but Ana says I need one." Quite a few of us have build lists. It's like we have our own little Ana fan club.

Third: I can't believe I won!!!! I set up my twitter account solely for the purpose of your tweet party and thought the best name was what I've decided to use as my blog name...if I ever actually start writing on there. Maybe sometime by the end of the year www.ThisDIYLife.com will be up and running :) I can't wait to start building my next project, the Lydia bed for the guest room in our 1910 Victorian house. Your bright colored furniture has inspired me to paint it a color...just need to decide on which one...blue...green...yellow?

Last, but certainly not least: Thank you for all that you do!

Lindsay (not verified)

Sun, 10/24/2010 - 19:33

I have been drooling over your plans for over a year...but I've never gotten up the courage to actually try to build one. This one looks like the perfect first project. Only problem? I've got a king size bed. Any chance you'll be posting these plans for a king?

Gloria (not verified)

Thu, 08/18/2011 - 19:29

did you ever receive the plans for a king size bed? if so can you email em to me? I've been looking all over and cant seem to find the proper dimensions to build a king size headboard.......thanks

Sheela (not verified)

Mon, 10/25/2010 - 15:35

This plan is truly fantastic! What do you suggest as the best method for attaching it to the bed frame? Thanks as always Ana!

Jill (not verified)

Mon, 11/01/2010 - 04:55

That's so funny. I just saw something like this on TV Friday night while flipping channels and I decided I wanted one. Thank you for posting this!

Wendi (not verified)

Fri, 11/05/2010 - 07:03

I second that! I was all ready to tell the hubby we were making this today and then I realized it was a Queen :(

Christi (not verified)

Fri, 11/05/2010 - 07:52

LOVE IT! Only probable is my bed is a King! My room is in serious need of help... really... bad... we have no head board and have rubbermaid tub drawers as our nightstands! This style matches my $5 set of chair find (we actually got 4 chairs for 5 dollars, but only two live in my bedroom!). I would LOVE to see a King headboard for this... but also a nightstand with the same pattern on it! I would love the chance to make my bedroom a more relaxing place to sleep... and get us out of the college living feeling! PLEASE!!!

AprilDenise (not verified)

Fri, 11/12/2010 - 19:39

Ok Ana I did it with your help!! I'm so glad you made these plans and I love my bed. I have attached a link to my blog and uploaded a picture too... There is also a youtube video on my blog showing the process. Please take a look at it and tell me what you think. Anyone? Thanks a million.

I looked this bad boy over a 1000 and 1 times. Now finally it's complete. I also entered the headboard into a contest over a Sewmuchado.blogspot.com called the copycat contest. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!!!

Oh heres the link: http://uniqueillusions.weebly.com/1/category/17%20west%20elm%20inspired…http://uniqueillusions.weebly.com/1/category/17%20west%20elm%20inspired…

lorieann (not verified)

Sun, 12/05/2010 - 21:16

Hi what size does this fit? I just love what you do. Do you have the plans for this in a king size.

McKay (not verified)

Mon, 12/13/2010 - 09:21

any tips on how to join the small pieces together at perfect angles? how should I arrange my clamps?

Laura (not verified)

Wed, 12/29/2010 - 19:29

Yet another vote for the King plans, please! I just checked with my brother-in-law and he has a pocket hole jig! We need a headboard badly - I think our bedroom matches the one described above- we just have a mattress and boxspring on a frame... with $7 IKEA tables as bed-side tables! hehe

H. Sabo (not verified)

Sat, 01/01/2011 - 04:17

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! please please please- King bed measurements. This headboard is on my 2011-to-do-list.
Great work Ana!

Nikki (not verified)

Fri, 01/07/2011 - 07:16

I'd like to add my vote for King-sized plans. I love this headboard and would really like to make it for my king bed. Please, please, please post modified plans>

Arielle (not verified)

Mon, 01/10/2011 - 13:45

Ana,

I have been forwarding your name to all of my friends, but haven't attempted to build anything yet. This will be my first- loves it! Thanks for all of the time you put into your plans and website.

Sara (not verified)

Tue, 01/11/2011 - 14:55

what kind of 2x2's do you use. I went to buy some and all I can find are firing strips, which are very poor quality! The only other 2x2 I could find was oak and they were $15 each!!

Stephanie (not verified)

Mon, 01/17/2011 - 17:34

I discovered your site yesterday and spent HOURS going through the projects. Then I saw this one! I've been wanting to embellish a very plain piece that I already own by creating a Chinese lattice pattern on the drawer fronts. This does a great job at explaining the proportions, but now I want to make the whole bed! Keep up the excellent work!!

Megan (not verified)

Mon, 01/24/2011 - 06:57

This is just my kind of plan. While I love the Kreg Jig, I don't enjoy filling all of those pocket holes. I would also love to see the plans in king size, please.

lorieann (not verified)

Wed, 02/02/2011 - 11:40

Hello to Ana or anyone out there that may know how to turn theses plans into one that will build a king size? Please I have been searching and waiting and I know alot more of you have been begging for king size plans for this bed and I have an itch to build something... so pretty pretty pretty please help us out...

Natalie Roy (not verified)

Wed, 03/02/2011 - 14:43

I'd recommend not building this in rough lumber if you plan on using high gloss paint to finish this headboard. Too many imperfections no matter how much sanding you do or wood filler you use. We'll try building this again with better wood.

Free Plans Made Possible By Our Sponsors