Hide a home gym in the middle of your living room! This genius coffee table cleverly stores yoga mats, hand weights and other home gym accessories, and rolls out of the way to create a workout area. This is a beginner DIY project that you can build with basic tools and materials. Free plans from Ana-White.com
- 4 - 1x12 @ 8 feet long *
- 50 - 1-5/8" long self tapping wood screws with Star bit (SPAX or similar)
- 1 - set of 3" butt hinges
- 4 - 3" caster wheels
- 16 - 1/2" long screws for attaching caster wheels (make sure the screw head is big enough to not pass throuh the caster holes)
*IMPORTANT: Make sure all 1x12 boards are the same width
- 4 - 1x12 @ 47-1/2" - top and bottom pieces
- 1 - 1x12 @ 8" - divider
- 2 - 1x12 @ 46" - uprights
- Measure and cut sides to fit in step 1 (about 22-1/2")
Since 1x12 boards can vary slightly in overall width, I recommend cutting the side pieces of the coffee table to fit.
To do this, lay out two 1x12 @ 47-1/2" on a flat surface. Place your hinge in the gap, with only the pin visible on the top.
Then measure the width of the two 1x12s plus the gap for the hinges.
It should be about 22-1/2" - give or take 1/4".
Cut two 1x12s to match this measurement. These will be your side pieces.