Laundry Dresser

Primary tabs

PDF versionPDF version

About This Project

Really happy with the final product and the hubby is glad I have finally finished a project. This project was an answer to the piles of washing crowding our small laundry. I found 3 sturdy family sized (huge) rectangular laundry baskets for $10ea at Kmart and then used Sketchup to adjust the plans to allow for the bigger baskets (Sketchup is so much fun to use). I ended up having to buy an extra piece of wood for the top because I forgot to allow for the thickness of the sides when measuring the top and base. (I know, I know, measure twice cut once...) I used the piece I had cut for the top as the base and then got a new piece for the top. When I finally got all the pieces cut to size it all went together pretty quickly. I used melamine for the box because it was cheap and I wouldn't have to paint it. It did chip a little bit along the edges when I cut it but it's not too bad. I used 30 x 30mm pine for the basket supports and had to countersink the screws 1cm so I could use 30mm screws. I used iron-on melamine edging to finish the exposed edges of chipboard and used paint on the back and supports. Actual construction didn't take long but the painting took about a day by the time I'd done one basecoat and two top-coats.

melamine (box), mdf (back), pine (supports)
Required Skill Level: 
Beginner
Estimated Time Investment: 
Day Project (6-9 Hours)
Finish Used: 
Dulux Prepcoat & Dulux Aquanamel White on back and basket supports. The rest was white melamine.
Estimated Cost: 
$40 (AUD) incl. screws. Already had the paint.

Comments

Thanks for the feedback. I cut the melamine myself. I clamped a straight edge on top of the melamine (allowing for the distance from the edge of the saw to the blade) and then used my jigsaw to cut. My local bunnings didn't seem too interested in cutting specific sizes. They were happy to just cut lengths down so I can fit them in my car but said their saw could be inaccurate up to 10mm from one end of the cut to the other. (Personally I think the guy just couldn't be bothered) Since I wanted my project to be square I figured it was much easier to just do it myself.
With sketchup I just play around and learn as I go. I got the hang of it pretty quickly although I'm still figuring out some of the more complicated stuff like using the protractor tool to do angles etc.