This wasn't my first DIY project but it was my build from this side and first real woodworking project and it's been the most satisfying to date.
I made this table for Mother's Day for my mom who has been dreaming of the PB Cameron fixed trestle dining table but couldn't take the hefty price tag.
Things I changed:
- I added the "pegs" on the table ends to make it look more like the PB version. They are just 1/2" round wood plugs glued to the trestles.
- I was going to add two more tabletop braces underneath (again to make it more like the PB version) but I cut one of them incorrectly so I just added on more in the middle. I'm turning the boo-boo lumber into a yarn swift; waste not.
Things I learned:
- If the wood is going to be stained and varnished, shell out for the *good* stuff. I had to put on way to many coats of polyurethane to make the cheapo pine boards smooth enough even after I had dampened it to raise the grain and sanded it.
- Don't believe the stated length of the boards you buy. 36-inch boards are actually 36 inches and a bit. I ended up having to disassemble and re-cut my tabletop supports.
- Practice with your jigsaw if you haven't made curved cuts before to see how tightly you can turn. Luckily I had extra ply to make another couple trestles after I botched the first two...
- Stained edges with Minwax Dark Walnut.
- Two coats Annie Sloan chalk paint in Old White.
- One coat Annie Sloan clear soft wax.
- Distressed edges with sandpaper to show stain underneath.
- One final coat Annie Sloan clear soft wax and a good buffing.
- One coat Varathane wood conditioner. (Pine takes stain unevenly without it.)
- Three coats Minwax Dark Walnut.
- 18-million coats Minwax Semigloss Polyurethane. (It seemed like it anyway.)