Farmhouse King Bed

Submitted by Adam W on Fri, 12/18/2015 - 13:26

This is the first time I have ever built anything and I'm very pleased with the results. The stain is water based 'charcoal gray'. It took 2 - 3 rounds of sanding, one coat of pre-stain, two coats of stain, and 3 coats of polyurathane. Total investment was about $350. It took me 3 months (I didn't have but an hour here and an hour there to work on it). My main concern was that I make it so that the screws were not visible. So I drilled a hole the size of the head of the screw about 1/4 in deep (then the typical pre-drill for the actual screw), screwed it together, then glued a wooden 'plug' in the hole. I'm very happy with the result of that. I also struggled a bit with how to attach the side rails - I ended up using 2 door hinges at each corner. The bed frame is completely separate from the mattress. I have a metal frame that is working fine, so the wooden frame actually does not touch the metal mattress frame. It is just built around it. Tools I used: Hammer, Paint Brush, Electric palm sander, Miter saw and a drill. The miter saw was huge for this project. 

Estimated Cost
Estimated Time Investment
Week Long Project (20 Hours or More)
Type of Wood
Variety from Loews
Finish Used
Minwax water based pre-stain, One 32oz can Minwax water based wood stain white tint base (charcoal grey), Verathane Polyurethane (satin - interior)
Recommended Skill Level

Free Plans Made Possible By Our Sponsors