First Project - 85% success!

Submitted by OH3 on Mon, 07/22/2013 - 11:07

This is my first real project that I took my time on. Actually my first real project ever. I wanted to replace my Ikea console table because it has started to bow (Ikea furniture does not fend well on moves). I modified the measurements and this is now 24" wide 18" tall - same length. Solid piece of furniture. I could not find all the lumber, but I improvised. Since this was my first project, I could not get the boards to match up all too well, and I do not have a chop saw that would cut a 2x6 - when I placed the 2x6 I did not like the look so I swapped it out with 2x4's.

I used Rustoleum black lacquer spray paint. I like how the grain came out, however, it took way too much spray paint. I will consider using black latex paint next time.

I have since applied 2 coats of poly and sanded it down and steel wooled it - and finally a coat of paste wax to preserve it. If I do not like the imperfections, I just might make it an outside patio table.

Thank you so much for these plans, I spend 3 hours at work looking through all the plans on you site. I even have bought the lumber for my next project - an outdoor table (same design) so that I can use it next to the grill as a counter surface and wire baskets.

***UPDATE*** - I finished the table, however it came out 4" less wide than the old table, however I was able to re-purpose it and use it as an end table for one of the guest bedrooms. The table could have come out a little better, I guess I can only get better!

Again thank you!

Built from Plan(s)
Estimated Time Investment
Afternoon Project (3-6 Hours)
Type of Wood
PT 4x4 (Home depot) - 2x4 studs
Finish Used
Rustoleum Black Lacquer spray
poly-urothene high gloss
Recommended Skill Level
Starter Project

Free Plans Made Possible By Our Sponsors