Simple White Outdoor Chair

Submitted by klray on Wed, 05/21/2014 - 21:47

These chairs followed the simple white outdoor chair instructions. There were a few adaptations. I used 2x3s instead of 2x2s for the legs, like in the simple white outdoor loveseat instructions. I purchased my cushions from Target, and their dimensions are different than the cushions used in the instructions, so I changed some of the chair dimensions. I created the pattern for the ottomans, but it is very much based on the simple white outdoor chair instructions.

Fun project and happy with the results. Staining instead of painting probably made the project take twice as long.

Finish Used
Minwax Ipswich Pine - 2 coats,
Deft Exterior Polyurethane semi-gloss- 3 coats
Recommended Skill Level
Beginner

Comments

sojaco

Thu, 05/22/2014 - 13:37

Your chairs are gorgeous - I feel compelled to go copy your handiwork immediately. :)

Would you mind sharing a link to the Target cushions you used? They look great on your chairs.

klray

Sat, 05/24/2014 - 10:56

Thanks!

Threshold Outdoor Deep Seating Cushion:
http://www.target.com/p/threshold-outdoor-deep-seating-cushion/-/A-1508…

Threshold Outdoor Deep Seating Back Cushion:
http://www.target.com/p/threshold-outdoor-deep-seating-back-cushion/-/A…

Just a note on the cushions, they are beautiful and highly economical, but that also means they likely aren't as supportive as cushions 2 or 3 times their price and the covers do not have a zipper, so you can't wash them. That being said, I am happy with cushions.

CreativeChaos

Fri, 05/23/2014 - 07:44

I built these chairs and love seat last summer and have sat on them wishing I had ottomans! You inspired me to build the ottomans. I have the same Theshold cushions from Target and they are great! Good job!

klray

Sat, 05/24/2014 - 11:09

Thanks!

The only tricksy part about the ottomans for me was attaching the "armrests". There isn't enough room to use the pocket hole screws after attaching the side aprons. I tried screwing the "armrests" to the legs before the aprons, but that just caused problems. In the end I screwed the side aprons and legs together and then screwed the "armrests" down from the top. I used wood filler to fill in the holes above the screw heads. So it isn't quite as clean looking, but worked for me.