Sliding Barn Door Console

Submitted by robinadams on Thu, 01/07/2016 - 19:59

I built this console over about 2 months. I really wanted a barnwood look so I found this lumber place that sells pine that puts it through a machine and roughs it up on one side. I also added my own saw marks to it, screwdriver dents, rake dents, etc. to rough it up some more. Real barnwood is expensive and often isn't straight, etc. and since I was using this in my kitchen as a countertop I didn't want any spaces in my countertop. This was about a third of the price of barnwood. I wasn't sure how the look of it would turn out, but I think it comes pretty close to looking like the real deal! My husband helped me with the sliding door mechanism. We used pulleys for it and cut metal down to size. We discovered that using a nut and bolt on it didn't work, it just loosened and would come off so instead of using a nut and bolt to secure the pulley to the metal, we used a clevis pin and some washers. Works amazing! This was my first big build and I am very happy with how it turned out! Behind the sliding doors there is one shelf each. We have found there is so much room for storage!

Built from Plan(s)
Estimated Cost
$250-$300
Estimated Time Investment
Week Long Project (20 Hours or More)
Type of Wood
Pine for the top and doors that is reclaimed (they run it through a machine to rough it up) on one side. Whiteboard for the sides and shelves.
Finish Used
Dark Walnut wiped on and then immediately wiped off. Then used American Walnut over top. This way the darker colour got into the saw marks and crevices. I then used Minwax matte polyurathane with 1000 grit sandpaper in between coats. I did 3 coats.
Recommended Skill Level
Intermediate

Comments