T's Rustic X End Table

Thank you Hilary for the wonderful design and thank you Anna for the plans. I tend to spend my fall and winter months on woodworking and sewing so this is my first project for the season. We had some left over 2.4's and I saw this table and thought, what a good way to use some of that leftover lumber. I didn't really know where I was going to put the table but once it was finished it made itself a home in our spare bedroom. I then saw a battery operated candle lantern that had the "X" pattern and I thought that would go perfectly with the table. Well, that then led me into another project. I wanted to do something different with the lantern instead sitting in on the table top so with some of the leftover wood from the table shelf, I made a post to hang the lantern from. I also used Anna's technique of distressing the edges with Minwax stain marker. It added just enough detail, what a great use of the stain marker.

The end table was my first project of the rustic "X" family. The second was the "X" console which also sits in the spare room. I'm now working on the Farmhouse Bed and am thinking of incorporating the some "X's" maybe on the headboard and also incorporate the hardware onto the headboard/footboard corners. It's not a traditional set that you would find in a bedroom, but it's a guest room and we don't really feel we need a dresser of drawers for our visitors so this works perfectly. It fits right into our decor and is very welcoming.

I love the stain that Hilary used, thank you for the advise. I have a jar of vinegar and steel wool sitting now. Can't wait to try that stain!

Built from Plan(s)
Estimated Cost
$60
Estimated Time Investment
Weekend Project (10-20 Hours)
Type of Wood
Pine, 2x4 studs, 2x6 studs
Finish Used
I used Minwax water based pre-conditioner, followed by two coats Minwax water based white wash pickled stain, followed by two coats Minwax water based satin poly.

For the hardware I used 4" L-brackets and 1-1/2" bolts sprayed with Rustoleum Hammer spray paint. I like the larger head on the bolts but could only find them in 1-1/2 lengh. I wasn't sure if these would be too long and collide with the screws from the pocket holes, so to be on the safe side, my husband cut the bolt threads down to make it a shorter bolt, then I pre-drilled and screwed the cut bolt in.
Recommended Skill Level
Beginner

Comments

spiceylg

Mon, 10/22/2012 - 08:18

Beautiful build and the little lamp post is adorable, too! Very creative!

Free Plans Made Possible By Our Sponsors