I altered the plans just a bit so that I could make use of the drawer closest to the headboard, while using bedside tables as well (not the ugly ones in the pictures, but some that only exist in my mind as of now). With the plan as is, I didn't think that first drawer would be able to open if you have a nightstand. So I left about a 17" gap that can be used as an open shelf for storage, and still had room for 3 drawers. I also wanted to include a bookshelf as the footboard to make it multifunctional. We have a ton of books and no place to store them (fear not, a large bookshelf/media center is coming soon!) I also altered the top of the headboard just a bit to give it more texture and visual appeal (hopefully, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder so I've been told). Lastly, I did not put the 1/4" plywood backing on the drawer carcasses. They were pretty sturdy as is, and only got more sturdy as they were attached to the headboard and footboard; I'm not worried about racking at all. Leaving the back off also allows me to pull the drawers out and access some hidden storage in between the two drawer carcasses.
I wanted a simple finish, so I rubbed it with dark walnut Danish oil. Super simple finish and I think it'll hold up as the bed is not like a desk that needs poly or something.