Fillman Dresser/Changing Station

Submitted by e.tesch on Thu, 07/03/2014 - 08:47

Needed a dresser/changing station for our baby boys nursery. After pricing the "cheap ones" at target ($225). Decided I could build one for much less and much better quality. Found the Fillman Dresser/Changing station plan on Ana's site and felt that was the plan.

One modification I did to make the drawer bottoms stronger was to route a ¼" rabbit ⅜" from the bottom of the drawer to help hold the ¼" plywood.

This was my first time using milk paint and after the first coat I felt I ruined the project because the color was so uneven. Thank goodness for the internet because when I looked milk paint up every site had a "don't panic" paragraph about the first coat going on uneven. Quick sanding and a second coat Made me a believer.

As this was my first project I am very pleased with how it turned out. I learned a number of things to avoid and look forward to my next project.

Thanks Ana for all of the inspiration and ideas.

Estimated Cost
$140
Estimated Time Investment
Weekend Project (10-20 Hours)
Type of Wood
Poplar and Maple plywood
Finish Used
Old Fashioned Milk Paint (Black)
Watco Danish Oil
Recommended Skill Level
Beginner

Free Plans Made Possible By Our Sponsors