Nesting Grill Station

I was tired of seeing my propane bottle on the porch and this project was a perfect blending of camouflaged storage with lots of potential countertop workspace. My grill station is smaller and shorter than the original plans to better fit our family size and the porch space we have available. My husband has a bandsaw mill. When he was milling boards this fall, I asked for some 1/2" thick planks just for this project. I also had the knobs and wheels leftover from past salvaging work. I have been trying my best to use up "stock on hand" during this pandemic. Though I spent some time sanding the rough cut lumber, it still absorbed lots of stain. I wanted two tones of color, so that's good, but I still had to mix two stains together to have enough for the lighter parts.

Now we are looking forward to some cold weather BBQ meals!

Built from Plan(s)
Estimated Cost
$10 for screws, all else salvaged.
Estimated Time Investment
Weekend Project (10-20 Hours)
Type of Wood
Alder and lodgepole
Finish Used
I stained the wood before joining it together so the two shades of stain wouldn't run together. For the darker parts I used Minwax Red Mahogany. On the lighter parts I mixed Minwax Early American with Natural (because I was running out). After staining I put the table together and finished it with Minwax Polycrylic, until that ran out, then Bona Mega satin floor finish. I put three coats of finish, sanding between coats.
Recommended Skill Level


Free Plans Made Possible By Our Sponsors