Build your own office with our Modular Office Collection of plans!
In this woodworking plan, you can build a narrow double drawer base for that can support a desktop. These roomy drawers can be used for storing files, extra supplies, crafts and more. Our free step by step plans include full diagrams, shopping and cut lists.
- 1 - 3/4" plywood half sheet (4x4) ripped into strips 15-1/2" wide x 4 feet long OR one strip, 15-1/2" wide x 8 feet long
- 1/4" plywood, 48" x 24" (can use smaller scraps, you'll need two pieces 17" x 14")
- 1 - 1x2 @ 8 feet long
- 1 - 1x4 @ 4 feet long
- 1 - 1x12 @ 3 feet long
- 2 sets of 14" drawer slides (white euro slides recommended)
- We recommend a Kreg Jig for joinery with 1-1/4" pocket hole screws, but you can also build with 2" self tapping wood screws
- Iron on edge banding if you want to finish the front exposed plywood edges to match the wood grain. You'll need a razor knife to trim excess off. If you plan to paint, you can fill the plywood edges with wood filler and sand smooth.
- 2 - 3/4" plywood @ 15-1/2" x 29" - sides
- 2 - 1x4 @ 18" - base trim
- 4 - 1x2 @ 18" - top and middle trim
- 1 - 3/4" plywood @ 15-1/2" x 19-1/2" - top
- 4 - 1x8 @ 14"
- 4 - 1x8 @ 15-1/2"
- 2 - 1/4" plywood @ 17" x 14"
TIP: If you want to finish the front edges of plywood with edge banding, do so now instead of later. You only need to apply edge banding to the side front edges.
We recommend attaching the 1x boards to the plywood with 3/4" pocket holes and 1-1/4" pocket hole screws, but you can also use 2" self tapping wood screws and glue.
Clamping down the board while you attach the plywood can help if you don't have an extra person to help hold things in place.
Build the drawer with either 3/4" pocket holes and 1-1/4" pocket hole screws or 1-1/4" brad nails and glue.
Attach bottoms with 3/4" brad nails and glue.
NOTE: You can build a deeper drawer by using 1x10s instead of 1x8s. You can save some money and use 1x6s but the drawer sides won't be as tall.
Install drawer members of the drawer slides on the bottom of the drawers. The drawer box should be inset 3/4" from the front edge of the cabinet.