Wow, building this table was more than I bargained for, but all the difficulties were my own fault. For starters, although the wood is beautiful (wormy ambrosia maple) the piece I chose to work with had a large knot hole that needed filling with an epoxy pour. It looks pretty good if I do say so myself (it's probably hard to see in this photo). Second, I didn't count on the hinges being so long and my wood came up about 3/4 inch too short for them. Had to scour the internet for some that were not so long. They ended up being a bit of trouble to install, but all's well. I used my router to cut a cove for finger grips which did make it easier to lift the top. I also made the top sides bigger that the original 2 x 2 (2 x 5 maybe) for weight and stability. I had extra wood so I added a bottom shelf as well. The finish is several coats of Varathane semi gloss polyurethane. I really like how it turned out!
Built from Plan(s)
Estimated Time Investment
Week Long Project (20 Hours or More)
Type of Wood
Wormy ambrosia maple and pine base
varathane semi gloss polyurethane
Recommended Skill Level