I used my router a lot on this project - routed the edges of the 2x6s so there was no dip/groove between the boards and used a roundover on the top edges and an classical on the bottom edges of the table top. A few hanges I made to the plans - the Xs are 2 lengths of 2x2 with a cross cut in the middle so they slot together, the table is wider and shorter so I adjusted the end x's to accomodate the new measurements, and I had to use 2 1x10s and a 1x8 for the bottom shelf for the wider table. Overall this was a great learning project for me! Really took me back to grade 12 math class with the angles :D
screws - $10
stain - I had some sitting around from previous projects that I used
Top coat - $25
- I use an unmatched sock and wipe on the stain. I don't like how the can states I should do it (leave stain on for 5 minutes, wipe off), I find it makes it way too dark for me. If the stain looks lighter that I want I will go back and wipe over again.
Top coat - Varathane Professional 1100 satin finish (clear finish, oil based)
- using a brush I did 3 coats on the bottom shelf, legs, Xs and supports
- table top has 4 coats. Lightly sanded when previous coat dried, used a tack cloth to remove all dust. Repeat until desire finished is achieved!