I had a request from a friend to build her a bench, preferably one with a back on it. The plans for the Woven Back Bench were perfect. But as you can see in the picture I moved away from the plans a little bit. The woven back is beautiful but I was sure it would become frustrating to get it right so I went with the vertical posts. It worked out well.
It is not visible in the picture but I added a cross-member to the middle of the seat to give it more strength and stability.
I avoided pocket holes to hold the back together by using the Kreg drill and drilling vertically down about 3/4 the way and inserting 2" pocket hole screws and then capping them off. The caps are visible in the picture. I did the same from the bottom of the back.
In a couple of places that called for 2x2s I used re-sawed 2x4s that I think added strength to the bench. I only used pocket holes where they would not be directly visible. Also I used a router to soften many of the edges and to add interest to the arms.