I used Ana's sawhorse plans and painted the sawhorses black. I made up a plan for the desk top inspired by some of the farmhouse table plans. The top looks very thick and chunky, but is mostly made from cheap 1x6 boards put together with glue and pocket holes. The ends of the top are made from 2x2 boards attached with pocket holes. The sides are from 1x2 boards - all attached with glue and pocket holes.
For the finish I used a water based stain from General Finishes - Black Cherry. I started with one coat of poly-acrylic and did not like the look. I sanded it back and bit (distressing the edges a bit) and put on two coats of wax.