So comfortable!

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 05/31/2016 - 09:28

This was my first BIG project that I have ever attempted.  Would I do it again?  Probably not, it definitely was a "bite off more than you can chew" situation.  Many adjustments had to be made to fit our needs, however it turned out wonderful and I am happy with the results.

 

I tweaked the plans for the folowing reasons:

  • Twin XL mattresses - I wanted something thick and soft, as well as supportive.  I was able to find memory foam twin xl mattresses (thank you amazon) and they delivered right to my door.  This was the first factor in changing around all the measurements (to fit the mattresses).
  • L shaped couch - The husband wanted an L shaped couch.  I wanted two identical couches, since it seemed a lot more simple to do this.  I lost that battle, perhaps I gave in to the notion that I could take on the added challenge.

The framing was easy as pie.  We opted to not do the storage concept- we have enough as it is.  We bought fabric online from a fabric wholesaler based out of Chicago (found them on Amazon).  This was probably the most costly out of everything, and with two cats and a dog I deeply regret going with blue-grey canvas.  It looks great, but shows stains very easily.

 

The padding was relatively simple to do.  I should have done more than just one layer, since it seems pretty hard on the corners and edges.  Again no big deal, I don't lay on the arm or backing.

 

For the pillow cases and mattress covers, we found a woman who sews in her spare time to make zipper cushions, so we could easily take the cushions on/off to clean them.  This was a little pricey, and I wish I could sew, but sadly I do not have the patience (or sewing machine for that matter).

 

Stapling the fabric and assembling the couch together... oh what a nightmare and test of patience that all was!  Again since I caved on the L shaped approach, I wanted an arm rest for the "chaise" portion of the couch.  Seemed pretty simple and straight forward, right?  NOPE!  I had to strategically assemble and staple the fabric, so the last part to staple down wasn't in a visible area.  And to top it all off, the framing was too large to just assemble in the garage and bring inside.  Assembled, this five thousand pound monster couldn't even fit through my doorway!  So assembling it all together, and uphostering was done in the living room.  I must say that this is the most solid (and heavy piece of furniture) that I have ever encountered.  If a tornado came ripping through my neighborhood I would probably try to find refuge and hold on to the couch- I can barely move it, it's so heavy.

 

It was so much fun doing this project.  The fabric portion was a challenge to say the least.  It was a fabric rubix cube, but we got through it with patience and planning.

Built from Plan(s)
Estimated Cost
1500
Estimated Time Investment
Week Long Project (20 Hours or More)
Recommended Skill Level
Advanced

Free Plans Made Possible By Our Sponsors