Simple Rustic Modern Console Table

Submitted by Ana White on Wed, 02/19/2020 - 13:55
Starter Projects

Build your own rustic modern console table!  This easy to tackle DIY project just uses a few boards and you can nail it all together.  Free step by step plans from Ana-White.com

simple console table plans

Build your own console table.  This easy to build plan uses off the shelf boards - so just chop, and nail together!

Why We Love It

• Perfect console table height
  • Three large cubbies fit most standard baskets and bins less than 16" wide x 11" deep x 10" tall
  • Solid wood design is easy to stain for a beautiful wood accent
  • Narrow design fits in most halls or entryways
  • Easy to build with basic tools and off the shelf materials

Baskets that Fit

We designed this console table to fit most standard bins or baskets designed for closet shelving.

Here's one of our favorites from Amazon (affiliate link)

Simple Modern Console Table Plans

The free plans for this console table follow.

simple modern console table plans

dimensions of console table
51" wide x 11-1/4" deep x 30" tall

2 - 1x12 @ 8 feet long (whitewood or spruce boards are fine)

1 - 1x10 @ 10 feet long

1-1/4" brad nails or 1-1/4" pocket hole screws if using a Kreg Jig

wood glue

• 2 – 1×12 @ 29-1/4″ - legs
  • 1 – 1×12 @ 49-1/2″ - shelf
  • 2 - 1x12 @ 10" - dividers
  • 1 – 1×12 @ 51″ - top
  • 2 - 1x10 @ 49-1/2" - inside back
Cutting Instructions
  • From first 1x12, cut the top, one leg, and one divider
  • From second 1x12, cut the shelf, one leg and one divider
  • Cut both 1x10 pieces from the 1x10 board
Brad Nailer

Attach the top to the legs with 1-1/4" brad nails and glue or use your Kreg Jig on the 3/4" setting with 1-1/4" pocket hole screws.

Place the two dividers inside the project on the ends as shown, do NOT attach.

Place shelf on top.

Attach shelf to the legs using the same method as you used to attach the top.

Move the dividers inward 16".

Attach with 1-1/4" brad nails and wood glue.

Apply glue to all four edges of the first 1x10 and place inside the shelf.

Avoid glue drying on the bare wood as it will not be stainable later.  Wipe off with a wet cloth as soon as possible.

Attach with 1-1/4" brad nails and glue from sides and from top.

Apply glue to the second 1x10 ends and place in the project.

Nail from sides to attach.

Comments

The Faveros (not verified)

Mon, 01/25/2010 - 07:30

Wow!! That is super easy - I think this is my new project for wedding gifts!! Thanks so much for posting this idea

Marcella (not verified)

Mon, 01/25/2010 - 07:34

omg! this is what i just told my hubby yesterday we needed for our stereo system! lol.. thank ana! it's like you're reading my mind on what we need in the house!

Amy Morris (not verified)

Mon, 01/25/2010 - 08:33

My little front entrance is dying for this. I'll have to make it a bit shorter, but I could put this baby together in no time! Perfect, thank you!

Anonymous (not verified)

Tue, 01/26/2010 - 00:56

Hi Ana,
I'm in love with your site! Have you ever built a crib? My baby is due in july and I would love to see (and try to build) some baby furniture!

Enjoy your holidays and best luck with your TV show!

Yoli

Ana White (not verified)

Tue, 01/26/2010 - 08:11

Go ahead and shorten the legs, just remember a standard bench height at the top is 18", so the legs would need to be 17 1/4" long.

Dustin and Eri… (not verified)

Tue, 01/26/2010 - 19:58

Oh my gosh, I am absolutely in LOVE with this website! I'm always saying how I wish I could build things...and now I think I CAN! I think I'll start with this, but I have plans to make many many things on your website. THANK YOU!!!

MarieC (not verified)

Wed, 09/01/2010 - 13:41

Hi Ana

The actual picture from a reader shows a shelf. How would I incorporate this into your plans?

barbara (not verified)

Wed, 10/13/2010 - 07:45

Ana, you are awesome!! I can't wait to find time to starting building - like so many others, my wish list is getting quite long ;)
Is this piece sturdy enough to hold a small (20 gallon) aquarium? We just moved the aquarium out of my daughter's room and it's now sitting on a bookshelf that's way too high. this would be ther perfect first project for me.

Crystal R (not verified)

Sun, 11/14/2010 - 05:07

Just to update, Hubby and I built this last night. It's a GREAT first project, super simple. Seriously it's so easy I felt like I was cheating! I'll post pics on the forum when I get the finishing done :-) Thank you!

jrees09

Mon, 03/28/2011 - 14:01

Do I have to use a pocket hole jig for this project? It will be my very first, and I am looking for the simplest and least expensive method, but I also want a sturdy piece...

Lady Goats

Mon, 03/28/2011 - 15:07

This is a simple build that does not require a pocket hole jig. Make sure you have a countersink bit, however, and don't pre-drill your holes RIGHT on the edge of the board. I think that was my  biggest mistake on my first builds.

Guest (not verified)

Wed, 05/25/2011 - 14:44

Would it be possible to update this so the print version has readable images like the other projects do? On this one, everything appears very tiny.

Guest (not verified)

Tue, 08/16/2011 - 19:07

Would it be possible to shorten the length on this? I LOVE this table but need something that isn't any longer then 40".

Thanks Maria

Guest (not verified)

Fri, 01/20/2012 - 14:04

I've never done anything like this before but I've always wanted to. I'm just a little confused... the plans call for screws, nails and pocket hold screws but then it doesn't really tell you when to use them. Can somebody clarify how many screws I'll need and where to use each type?

Thanks!!

Guest (not verified)

Wed, 02/08/2012 - 19:37

Hi,
Could you please clarify the width of wood used, I'm in Australia and the materials list says 2-1x 12 (8"). Not sure what that means, I'm feeling a little silly for asking but oh well :)

In reply to by Guest (not verified)

spiceylg

Thu, 02/09/2012 - 06:05

Hello and don't feel silly. It actually says 8' which means 8 feet (in length), while 8" would mean 8 inches. You probably use metric, and my apologies, I don't know the conversion.

In reply to by Guest (not verified)

claydowling

Thu, 02/09/2012 - 07:31

The bigger problem is that lumber is specified differently in North American than in Australia. A 1x12 is one inch thick and 12 inches wide when rough. Final dimensions after surfacing will be 3/4" thick and 11 1/2" wide. That's the dimension you'll pick up at the lumber dealer.

In the event local products are specified in metric units, you might consider picking up a tape measure and a rule that measure in both units. I have one of each and it makes it a lot easier to build from metric plans.

AlliB

Sun, 02/10/2013 - 20:49

Sorry if this is naive, but could you define surfacing for me? I guess I'm confused why the dimensions say it's 30" high when at 29 1/4" and another 1" on top it wouldn't be 30 1/4?

Guest (not verified)

Thu, 02/09/2012 - 12:20

Thank you both for your replies, I appreciate it :) I'm off to the hardware store today to get my timber to start this project. Wis me luck!

Christy_Roseveare

Wed, 03/19/2014 - 07:42

I would like to tackle this as my first project. I would also, however, like to have the shelf to hold the baskets. It is in the picture but does not seem to be part of the plan. Could someone help me know how to incorporate it?

JenniferMary

Thu, 01/28/2016 - 10:00

I have never built anything before and would like to start with this. I read through the plan, but I feel unclear where the screw or nails goes. For example step 2 says

Step 2 Instructions:

Using either screws or nails, 2″ length, fasten the sides to the back. You will need to predrill and countersink you screws. Use glue. Keep the top and back edges flush.

It says to fasten sides to back but not where and the diagram only shows measurements not where or how many screws or nails are needed. Or is this just use best judgment on how many and where? Thanks so much and sorry if this is obvious.

Free Plans Made Possible By Our Sponsors