Chunky Console Table Desk with Flip Down Keyboard Tray

Submitted by Ana White on Sun, 08/30/2020 - 14:20

No room for a desk?  This beautiful console table flips open to hide a laptop or a keyboard!  You'll love it's narrow profile, hidden storage in the legs, and simple to build design.  Free plans from Ana-White.com

console table desk

This plan has been updated, the original plans are still available here.

console table with flip down keyboard tray

console table converts to desk
Overall Dimensions are shown above. I choose to use standard sized boards in this design so that you could use pine boards for a rustic look, use scraps, or have MDF cut into board sized dimensions (as I did). The desk is narrow when closed, console sized. So if you like lots of room for more than just using your computer, this might not be the desktop for you.

6 Frameless Full Overlay Euro Style Hinges like these

1 – 1×12 @ 8′ Length (cut top and shelf from this board)

1 - 1x12 @ 10' length (cut all other cuts, largest first, from this board)

1 – 1×6 @ 8′ Length

1-1/4" brad nails or 2" self tapping star bit screws or 1-1/4" pocket hole screws (or a combination of all of the above

2 - 1x12 @ 29-1/4" - outer legs

1 - 1x12 @ 46-1/2" - shelf

2 - 1x12 @ 24-1/2" - inner legs

1 - 1x12 @ 48" - top

6 - 1x12 @ 4" - dividers

1 - 1x6 @ 48" - keyboard fold down

2 - 1x6 @ 23-3/4" - storage leg doors

Brad Nailer

Attach legs to the desk tray using your choice of fastener - 1-1/4" brad nails and wood glue, 2" self tapping wood screws, or 3/4" pocket holes with 1-1/4" pocket hole screws.  You can use any combination of these fasteners to build throughout the plans, considering that the brad nails are cheapest, easiest and easiest to hide, but pocket hole screws will create a stronger joint.

Recommend for this step: Pocket Holes

TIP: The 1x12 @ 4" pieces can be used as a temporary spacer to set your shelf height.

I recommend installing the hinges at this point, since it will be hard to get a drill inside the project as we progress further.  Simply screw to the project as shown, with the flat front flush to the front edges of the project.  You can use a scrap piece of wood to help you place the hinges, making sure they are flush to the front.

Exact location is not essential, just close the locations in the diagram is good.

Attach the inner leg piece to the shelf.

Recommended: Pocket Holes

Attach top to the outer legs.

Recommended: 1-1/4" brad nails with glue since they are easiest to hide.

Attach dividers inside the project as shown - I've placed them so you can fit an 8-1/2" x 11" book/paper in the openings, but you can move the dividers around a good bit without changing the structure of the project.

Recommended: 1-1/4" brad nails and glue.

Position the 1x6 drawer faces under the project and attach through the hinges with screws to fasten.

If you find you need additional support, fully enclosing the back with 1x6s (same as door faces but attached with 1-1/4" brad nails and glue) will increase the stability and strength of the project (but add costs).

The keyboard fold down can be further strengthened by a hidden chain or hinge supports on the insides of the dividers.

Help Improve This Plan

We apologize if there was an error in this plan. Please help us out and report any errors here.

Comments

Aubergine (not verified)

Tue, 05/11/2010 - 21:43

if you weren't using it as a all the time desk it would look so cool with a matching bench same plan just 50%

Ana as always your stuff is stunning thank you for sharing we are all grateful.

Heidi (not verified)

Wed, 05/12/2010 - 04:39

I love this desk! I may have to tackle this with my husband as our first attempt at building furniture.

Jennifer (not verified)

Wed, 05/12/2010 - 05:59

This is really cool! I just love the simplicity of it.

Hmmm... If anyone is in the market for a new computer, the Dell Studio Hybrid would fit inside the legs of this perfectly - just make sure to cut out openings in the back for ventilation. :)

It's a really small, narrow desktop. I have one hooked up to my TV downstairs and most people can't even tell it's a computer!

Jennifer

Natty (not verified)

Wed, 05/12/2010 - 07:24

Ditto on the bench idea. I would use this as a vanity. The storage is perfect for small baskets filled with all my make-up and stuff. you could also change it to have a locking hinged top with a mirror on the inside so you could open it up and get ready and then close it up and everything is tucked away. :) So, I've got ideas, now I just need the nail gun :P

Pat (not verified)

Wed, 05/12/2010 - 10:11

Anna,

Are you going modern on us Ana? (LOL)

I love it ! ...especially the storage concept. My condo is just 950 sq feet. So I know what you mean.

Pat

Vanilla Comfort (not verified)

Wed, 05/12/2010 - 10:20

I've been thinking about this desk ever since you first shared pictures, and now that you've planted the idea of hiding the CPU tower I'm sold. I have a small, short and thin CPU tower so I think it will fit just fine. I would love to hide the modem, router, and all the wires too. I'm just not sure how the modern design will look in my living area. I love the look though, so I might just go for it!

Allie (not verified)

Wed, 05/12/2010 - 19:46

Ana, I haven't gotten around to saying it yet, but: THANK YOU so much for your site, your plans, and your time. I love this site so much. I am so excited to build this desk and so much more. This plan in particular is fantastic for hiding all my office things from my inquisitive toddler! Lol! THANK YOU!!!

Allie (not verified)

Wed, 05/12/2010 - 19:47

Oh, and I love the coffee and end tables linked in this post! YES, make plans for them... if you have time! lol

Jenny (not verified)

Thu, 05/13/2010 - 09:12

Ana, where is your CPU tower hiding? I know it's not in the leg of the desk, but where did you put it so that it is out of sight?

I love, love, love the idea of concealed storage in this desk. We have an office/baby's room in one, and hiding all the grab-able things from baby would be divine.