Laundry Basket Dressers 4 tall

Submitted by tkdtara84 on Sat, 08/04/2012 - 15:22

I made these based off the Brook laundry basket dresser plans. I did notice that the bottom rung placement measurement is about an inch off if you want your baskets spaced evenly, so I moved it an inch higher, which made them all very close.

The only other thing I changed about the plans was to add some decorative trim molding to the front edges where the raw plywood edge would have been. Plywood these days isn't of the best quality, so that rougher edge would have bothered me.

I primed by hand (it took six hours!!) and then decided to use spray paint for the top coat. It was a good decision-- the finish was much smoother than a brush, and it took less time to spray around the rungs than it did to brush them. It was also about half the price for the paint.

If I were to make these again, I would paint the insides before assembling the dressers. The painting part was by far the most difficult of the project. Painting while they aren't in a box formation would have been so much easier, and I could have touched any little spots up after assembly if needed.

More details can be found on my blog post: http://www.stitchfancy.com/2012/08/04/laundry-basket-dressers/

Estimated Cost
$100 for two dressers
Estimated Time Investment
Afternoon Project (3-6 Hours)
Type of Wood
Plywood and a 1x8 ripped down for the rungs
Finish Used
Primed with latex Valspar primer, top coat Red Satin finish spray paint by Valspar
Recommended Skill Level
Beginner

Free Plans Made Possible By Our Sponsors