This is actually a mash up of Ana's "Mudroom Bench with Easy Drawers" design, and a "Mudroom Lockers" post by Infarrantly Creative. The end result is a 66" W x 98" H x 19 1/4" D built-in bench with 2 drawers and 4 cabinets. I did the cabinets first, to easily support them while installing on a temporary ledger board without the bench in the way. Unlike Infarrantly, I did not have existing cabinets to re-purpose, but I found 30W x 24H x 12D cabinets that practically matched the adjoining kitchen in both color and style. I also added matching pulls and handles to tie both rooms together. I almost went with taller cabinets to the ceiling, but this approach with Crown Molding "not-to-ceiling" matches the kitchen cabinets. I also bought matching trim pieces for the ends and across the bottom so anything touching the cabinets matched in color and texture. In hindsight, the color-matched paint was so close, though, I could have saved some cash by cutting and painting those pieces instead. Everything gray below this point is 1x material cut to spec and then painted. The bench is based on Ana's design (modified to two drawers) with Infarrantly's stained top. The top is a pine board from HD stained to closely match our LVP in that room, and the entire first floor. You will notice the top rail of the bench frame (attached to the top with Kreg pocket holes to minimize visible nails/screws) is also stained to give illusion of a thicker slab. The stain closely matches our LVP in that room, and the entire first floor. This was my first time building drawers, but thanks to Ana's "Easy" drawer design, it still worked out pretty well. The drawer frame technique (instead of faces) made everything a little more forgiving (which I definitely needed). After painting and reinstalling, I noticed that some of the reveal around the drawers did not line up evenly and straight around them. I simply adjusted the rails (drawer side), and the middle upright between them, without needing to remove or rebuild the drawers or the frames - WHEW! Between the cabinets and bench, I used 1x12's and 1x2's, down the sides - although you could leverage the existing wall finish. I also added vertical shiplap to the back, but again you could leave the existing wall finish or use beadboard. It is painted teal to coordinate with the adjoining kitchen's tile and backsplash. I added the Hummingbird coat hooks, since we love those feathered visitors around our deck in the summer. Thanks to both Ana White and Infarrantly Creative for inspiring this addition to our new home.
Built from Plan(s)