Folding Sewing Table

Submitted by Ana White on Mon, 12/28/2020 - 11:34

Build your own folding sewing table from one sheet of plywood!  This is a free woodworking plan by Ana-White.com to help you create a dedicated sewing space, in just a few square feet!  Folds out to 32" x 55", and folds down to roll through doorways and tuck away as an end table.

folding sewing table

Photo by LEXAROO

Folding Sewing Table Plan Features

Build your own folding sewing table from one sheet of plywood using our free step by step plans.  This folding sewing table features:

• Storage for a sewing machine and sewing basket
  • Fold out wings to increase sewing and cutting space
  • Wheels for easy moving between rooms
  • Narrow profile rolls through doorways

Expandable Simple Sewing Table

folding sewing table dimensions
Table Height, expands out to 32" x 55"

1 – Sheet of 3/4" thick sanded plywood or hardwood plywood

2 – 1x3 @ 8 feet long

4 – 2″ Caster Wheels (Overall clearance of 2 1/2″) and screws for attaching caster wheels to the base (3/4" length most likely with a larger head)

5 – Sets of simple hinges (2-1/2" to 3" length) - ten total hinges

2" self tapping wood screws (spax or similar, can use trim screws)

• 2 - 3/4" plywood @ 32" x 20"
  • 2 - 3/4" plywood @ 32" x 26-3/4"
  • 1 - 3/4" plywood @ 32" x 15-1/2"
  • 2 - 3/4" plywood @ 32" x 12"
  • 4 – 1x3s @ 29 1/4″ (Legs – Measure these!)
Drill Bit Set

Lay the plywood out on top of scrap 1x boards or styrofoam.

Mark the plywood every 32" width wise with pencil lines. Set circular saw to depth slightly greater than thickness of plywood.

Cut on the pencil lines to create three equal sized pieces, each 32" x 48".

From the 32" wide pieces, cut down as shown in the diagram and cut list.

Assemble the main box as shown in the diagram, using the 2" screws.

Attach wheels to base of the cabinet with the caster wheel screws.

Position the cabinet face down on the floor and place the leaves next to the cabinet.  Attach on underside with the simple hinges.

Measure the overall distance from the underside of the cabinet to the wheel bottom and cut the 1x3s to this length.

Attach legs to hinges and to the underside of the leaves.  You can also use a fold out hinge for added security.

Flip the table over and test the leg lengths.  Cut down if necessary.

You want the legs to open slightly past 90 degrees in opposite angles, so the legs are slightly splayed out, to keep the project from collapsing.

You can also use table leg hinges.

Comments

Silky (not verified)

Wed, 10/20/2010 - 21:34

Thank you so much, Ana! My desk is definitely not big enough to hold both my serger and my sewing machine. Anytime I need both machines (which is the case with 90% of my projects) I'm working on the dining table.
I wanted to add a leaf to the side of my desk and couldn't figure out how to do the legs. Now I don't know whether to do this or to built the whole thing.

What kind of hinges do you suggest for the legs?

Krista @ The D… (not verified)

Wed, 10/20/2010 - 21:54

This is a really nice project. I had started making my Christmas list (which actually includes many things like, "Helping making this design" then a link to one of your plans) If you're looking for ideas, I would love to have a sewing table design that includes a lowered spot for sewing machines. I really like this sewing table: http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat3485&PROD… (Can you believe this costs 379.99?!? There has got to be an easier way! I know the lowering arm would be tricky, but I would love a design for it!)
Thank You!

Sophia Williams (not verified)

Wed, 10/20/2010 - 22:07

LOVE this! Well I actually haven't seen anything on your page that I don't love...you're awesome. Can you tell me though, is this too complex for a beginner? I have yet to do my first project, but I did get a Kreg Jig for my bday a few weeks ago and I am a little nervous to get started. But I so badly need this sewing table!

Laura (not verified)

Thu, 10/21/2010 - 02:01

Check this out! Purchased sewing tables are so pricey! These plans are great and you are awesome!

Elisha (not verified)

Thu, 10/21/2010 - 02:34

Thank you for including the cut diagram, I really appreciate it.

My sewing machine table from the 60's has a very different mechanism than the one suggested by orangesugar. It is a hinge with a metal spring. My machine is extremely heavy (because of its age), so this particular design would be difficult for me. I don't know if they still make the spring, but it may or may not work for Krista.

Jaime (not verified)

Thu, 10/21/2010 - 02:47

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for! I am SO excited to build this! Woo HOO! ;)